20. Second Sight

LEVI

If Olivia heard anything else of Mosa's parting words, she says little about it. She follows me out back as I rummage for fresh ingredients in the greenhouse. I have very little faith in the contents of my refrigerator, but I've found my garden never fails to provide.

"How do you even keep track of all these plants?" She asks softly, weaving between hanging plants like it's a botanical garden rather than an overpopulated sunroom. "I can't even keep a few succulents alive and I water them every day."

"You water them... every day?" I choke the words out through the pain she just inflicted. Those poor succulents.

"Is that not the right amount?" Olivia asks sincerely, salting the wound.

"Let's just say it's a good thing you're in charge of keeping the elderly alive and not plants," I mutter, plucking a handful of tomatoes and throwing them her way before she gets tempted to start torturing any of my plants. "Catch."

"Hmmm..." Olivia's gaze settles on the small... special hydroponics setup in the far corner of the greenhouse and she purses her lips. I grab my basil and go before she can make a comment.

"It's legal here, just so you know."

"Uh huh."

The stench of rotting eggs from the carton in the refrigerator quashes my elaborate plan for a breakfast bruschetta, but I dice up the tomatoes anyway and hope Olivia has no qualms. Her eyes follow my every movement in a way that gnaws at me, like she's trying to pass some divine judgement. They're much bluer than I remember.

"Do you have any coffee?"

"Best I can do is Monster Energy," I reply and she crinkles her nose, bunny-like and... somewhat adorably.

"Oh, goodness no. That's the last thing I need. I don't know why I asked, really. I feel so..." She teeters off, clinging to the edge of my breakfast bar like it's the precipice of a cliff. That awful pause of deliberation is back. Whatever it is, I wish she'd just spit it out. "How human do you have to be exactly, to get back across to Earth?"

I instinctively look to the glamour over my hands and inwardly sag with relief to see it intact. They're both still pale brown. Still human. What else could have given it away?

"Not... entirely. But enough to throw off the Guardians of the Veil. As long as they can smell the taint of Earth in your blood. Why?" I frown as Olivia's grip on the side of the bench tightens, worry lines twisting her brow. "Olivia."

"The... thing I met last night that I told you about. Otis. Well, he kind of uh..."

I relaxed too soon. She refuses to meet my eyes now, but I've finally connected the dots. How spritely she'd looked this morning despite the events of last night. How blue her eyes are... They used to be the colour of honey. A golden russet so deep it's impossible to forget.

Olivia isn't worried about my humanity.

Most magic users have access to the first two planes of sight, humans only one. With training, they can shift their focus out enough that the aura of lifeforce around each living creature can be seen. It's a good way to get the measure of those around you, detect danger just through the shifting colours and glare of their mana.

On the third plane you can see magic in action. Spells, enchantments and even the most subtle glamours can be detected in this level of focus. Weak specters become perceptible, hence the number of isolated hauntings on Earth. On the fourth plane, my limit, the deceased are more visible, with a little bit of extra spell work tossed in.