27│THE FLASHBACK

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

Veronica sighed to herself as she spent another day at the Double R Diner waiting tables. Well, what she did wasn't really waitressing, at least that's what her boss kept complaining about.

"Earl, I have something new I want you to try," She sang when the old man joined her behind the counter for a cup of coffee.

"That's the exact same sentence that got me hooked on cocaine in the 80s," He laughed as he grabbed the cupcake from her.

"And this diner's going to be what got me hooked on cocaine," She joked, "My friend Monica made cupcakes yesterday and I knew you'd like it."

"Well, you know what they say," Earl, the diner's 70-year-old cashier, said as he took a bite, "When God closes a window, you work here and do cocaine."

"Veronica, we don't have muenster cheese," The cook, Oleg, told her as he popped his head out the serving hatch window.

"Hi, sorry we don't have muenster," She spoke dryly to the man sitting at the counter as she looked down at her nails.

"Seriously, dude?" He scoffed, "I wanted muenster."

"Welp," She shrugged mockingly, "We have swiss, cheddar, and American."

"Uh, I hate cheddar and swiss blows," He groaned petulantly.

"Well, then American?" Veronica raised a brow as she rolled her eyes.

"American cheese?" He huffed, "What am I, in grade school?"

"Yeah," She glared at him heatedly, "Go to the principal's office. I can't have another idiot up my ass right now. It's at capacity."

The man shrank back for a moment before sighing. "This is crap, okay, I wanted muenster."

"Well, I wanted to be running a Fortune 500 company instead of waiting on a toxic man-child like yourself. But, we can't always get what we want. So, order something else, put it in your pie hole, and get on with your damn life," She growled at him.

She finally cracked a smile when he leaned back so far in fear that he fell off the stool.

"You say the word 'muenster' again and you'll be buried under the floor instead of laying on it," She threatened with a sweet smile before turning on her heel and heading to one of the booths.

"How have you not been fired yet?" Max laughed as she slid in next to him and nestled into his side.

"Because Han's scared of me too," She explained coolly before she leaned up for a kiss, "And, plus, I give him free legal advice for a fee."

In the time since she'd started working at the diner, she'd quickly become part of the family dynamic it had going on. Veronica, Oleg, and Earl gave Han a hard time but it was always in good fun.