(2) Lost Help

"Do you think the Black Rebellion really is a terroristic group?"
Nick asked when Clay and him were on the way to Clay's hut. Nick has ended is drawing, got the money for it and now the two best friends were heading to get their daily warm meal from Clay's family.

"I always thought about them as freedom fighters, but the news said they attampted an attack so I'm not sure anymore." Clay reponded.

When they were younger, Nick would always spend the time after school at Clay's hut because Nick's family struggled with getting enough money for food and in the winters it was extremely cold there due to the lack of money for any heaters.

"I feel bad for the 3 men who got caught. They're getting executed without trial."
Clay could hear the accusation in Nick's voice and let a sad smile on his face.

"When was the last time anyone got a fair trial? Especially a Vilis? The Pretiosi are sure that these men are terrorists so they won't waste their time with trials."
He kicked a stone with his shoe.

Nick had often told Clay that he felt uncomfortable being such a burden to him and his family but Clay never understood that. For him it was completely normal to share his modest prosperity with his best friend.

So with time Nick has become something like another brother for Clay.

The sun slowly started to hide behind the far clouds on the horizon, creating a beautiful dark red. The color reminded Clay of the king's but especially the prince's eyes. George Ignis, Prince of the Pretiosi. Member of the Ignis family, giving him red eyes and the power to control fire, loved by the whole nation.

When he was thinking about Prince George, there was this dull indescribeable feeling again… was it anger? Jealousy? Or something else?

When they reached the hut of Clay's family they were greeted with dull yelling from inside.

Clay frowned and stepped inside quickly, trying to discover the origin of the loud noises.

It were his father and his older brother discussing really loud.
His mother sat on the old, torn couch, seeming to be on the verge of tears.

Clay opened his mouth to say something but at this moment his brother spoke again: "How are we supposed to hide it? This is a small hut, we could never hide something from the Pretiosi!"

"So you just want to give up and go to the army? Is that what you want? I have been at the front, I don't want to lose my son to this horrible war!" his father barked back, hitting the table in anger. He had lost one of his legs and a few fingers in the war and couldn't work anymore, therefore he has been sent home and was dependent on a wheelchair ever since.

Clay's younger sister leaned against the wall, watching the scenario with a sad ecpression on her face.

Nick turned to Clay.
"Dude I think I better leave, see you tomorrow, okay?"
Clay just nodded and Nick slipped out the door.

"Chris, What happened?"
He walked over to his younger sister. Her green eyes were filled with sorrow.

"The money guy. He is dead I think"
Clay stared at her. Once a month there was a courier bringing the family a package with money and a lot of green contact lenses for Clay. An old friend from the family arranged that to support them.

He and Christine used to call him the money guy since they didn't know his real name and were taught not to ask too many questions.

His mother hurried over.
"Good that you're back Clay, we still have some soup if you want some?"

He nodded slowly, still lost in his thoughts.
What does this mean? No more money? No more contact lenses? If they didn't have any money, would he be forced to leave for the front on his 17th birthday? Will he be a teenage soldier?

For the first time in his life, Clay felt the fear for his 17th birthday like all the other Vilis teenagers did.

I don't want to leave my family. I don't want to leave Chris. She's only 15! I'm her older brother… I don't want to join the war. I don't want to die…

The bowl with soup made a dull sound when his mother put it on the table.

His father joined the table after he stopped discussing with Clay's brother. The 3 remaining fingers of his right hand reached for a spoon but he didn't start eating.

"Dad?"
His father looked up.

"Is he really dead? The guy who gives us money?"

He looked down again and sighed.

"There has been an attempted attack on the royal family. They-"
"Yes I've heard about that" Clay interrupted him. "We watched the news at Nick's working place. They said they caught 3 men and want to execute them."

"Well they have. This afternoon. One of these men was your-… the men who makes sure we have enough money."

"Does this mean we have to join the army?" Christine asked with a scared tone.

His older sister put an arm around the younger girl. "Don't worry, we still have some savings to pay for the school and you still have more than a year to find a job"

Worries struck Clay when he a picture came up in his mind, Chris in the Vilis army uniform, with a small gun and a dagger; blood dripping from her chin-… he wiped the thought away. His older sister was right, Chris could still find a job before she turned 17.

Other than him. He would be 17 in 2 weeks. How should he find a job in this short amount of time?

There was a gloomy mood around the hut this evening.
Everyone was lost in their own thoughts and worries.

When it was already dark outside, Clay said goodnight to his family, took a glowing candle from the table and climbed up the wooden ladder to his sleeping place. It was only an old matress and a thin blanket, but better than sleeping on the floor. He sat on the floor next to the wooden water bucket and poured water on his face.

Then he looked at the mirror which was hanging at his eye level. He could see the worry in his own green eyes.

He leaned over and carefully took the contact lenses out of his eyes.
He put his face in his hands for a bit and then looked up again, into the mirror.

Bright purple eyes were looking back at him.

---------------------------

Hi! Here's the next chapter, hope you liked it :)
I don't have much left to say, so have a nice day/night! <3
~Ju