Chapter 23 - Judah's Gift

After Milo returned home, his mother called him into the living, she gestured for him to sit next to her on the couch and folded her hands in her lap. "So, I spoke to your dad about Judah's tickets to the ball. I didn't think it was right that he should have to pay for an event he can't attend."

"That's nice of you. What did Dad say?"

"Well, he pointed out—and I have to say, I did agree—that the money is for charity, and it also seems wrong to take it back."

"Okay, I'm confused. If you believe that, why are you even telling me this?"

"He and I talked it out, and we decided that we would reimburse him ourselves. That way, the hospital still gets the donation, and Judah doesn't have to throw away $150 on what he meant to be a gift."

"That's amazing. But I doubt he'll accept it."

Mrs. McBride pointed at Milo and nodded. "I had that same thought. Because of what he said about the money being for charity. So, since the gift was yours, we're giving you the money." She cast her eyes off to the side, contemplating. "Sort of."

"Sort of?"

"Sort of." She gave a swift, single nod. "Although, technically, it ended up being more than Judah paid by almost double, with those damn exorbitant holiday prices."

Milo was so confused. He held up his hand. "What are you talking about? What is almost double the price? What the hell did you get me?"

"A plane ticket!" She grinned and did celebratory jazz hands.

She rolled her index fingers around each other in the air, adding, "To Wisconsin." As if it could be to anywhere else.

Milo's heart leapt into his throat, his hands shaking. "Are you serious?"

"Yes."

"Oh, my God!" Milo launched forward to hug his mother. "Thank you."

Mrs. McBride patted his back, laughing. "Well, it was Judah's gift to you. He planned for you two to spend a lovely evening together at the ball. We thought he should have that. Even if not as originally planned. And it's also like our gift to him."

Milo could hardly catch his breath. "When do I leave?"

"You're on the red-eye tonight at ten."

Milo gasped. "I have to go pack."

His mother smiled. "Yes, you do."

He shook his head. His mind scrambled to list everything he needed. "What do I even take? I have no clothes suitable for Wisconsin weather."

She tapped his knee. "What about that puffy jacket your grandparents bought you for that camping trip we all took?"

"That was five years ago! I was fourteen. I gained about forty pounds and grew about six inches since then. Even if I still had it, it wouldn't fit."

"Then we'll have to go shopping."

"With what money? I only have thirty-seven dollars in the bank."

"Consider it part of the gift." Mrs. McBride said.

Milo and his mother set out to brave the throngs of people at the mall returning broken toys, clothes that had been gifted in the wrong size or color, and all the presents they didn't like.

Heather met them there. Having grown up in Illinois, she had experience with cold weather, and what one might need to survive a winter in Wisconsin.

Milo tried to only buy the bare minimum, if only because he had limited space in his suitcase. He didn't want to deal with the bother of checking a second bag during one of the busiest travel times of the year.