The Watcher

When sunrise came, Legolas found that, much to his amusement but not surprise, that Raina had fallen asleep on watch. He expected it of her, it was her first time since they had journeyed, on a full night watch, and the last time she had been on watch, before changing shifts with Aragorn, the ranger told him that she had barely managed to keep her eyes open.

It had been good that no harm had come, not that Legolas thought there would, not this high up in the mountains. Besides, he had been awake the entire night, escaping to the dream land where he often saw his mother again. It was true that he missed her so much, too much. But seeing Raina gave him peace, something to look forward to.

It was true that Aragorn had cautioned him about the prospect of the two of them being together. He spoke of his father, Thranduil and whether, if he would not allow Tauriel to pledge herself to him, would he really allow Raina? Legolas knew the answer, but it wasn't like he cared. He loved Raina, and that was all that mattered.

His father would just have to deal with it.

But, Legolas hoped, when he had all she had done, that he would earn his blessing to court her, maybe wed even.
'Steady on Legolas,' he warned himself, chuckling 'You don't even know if she likes you yet.'

Yes, he didn't. In fact, all his hopes, dreams, rested on her confession. It is what he had been thinking about so closely throughout the day. He sensed an attachment that she felt toward Frodo, and he couldn't make sense of it. Was she merely friends with him? Or did she want them to be something more?

Legolas turned restlessly, for days and nights she had plagued his thoughts, his dreams even. He decided.

It was time to tell her how he felt.

And soon, because he could bare the agonising wait no longer.

****
I was woken up by Aragorn. My eyes fluttered open, and I saw the ranger standing over me with a slightly raised eyebrow.
"Raina?"
I blinked, remembering what had happened.
"Oh." I grinned sheepishly "Sorry. I did try to stay awake."
He smirked.
"I know you did. Do not worry, I fared no better the first time I stayed on watch. We are leaving now."
I nod, standing up and begin to gather my things. The sleep was the only respite I had from the cold, and now, after sleep with no fire and a thin cloak, I felt it again at full force. Goosebumps formed along my arms as I slipped on another shirt, and then my cloak. I stuffed my blanket inside the bag, forced it closed and did the straps.

After a quick breakfast, we set off, back down the mountain.

It takes us almost whole day to reach the bottom of the mountain again, and by late afternoon, after retrieving Bill, we walk south, along an aqueduct's ruins. The fog is thick and billowing, and I walk quietly, leading Bill as carefully as I can over the rocks. Earlier in the day I had tried contacting Smithie to no avail through the radio, before giving up in exasperation.

I had only been gone a few months, had he really forgotten about me?

The paths was rocky and there was ice and snow everywhere, several times I had almost slipped and one time I did, falling right on my bottom, grazing my palm across the floor.
"Owww..." I moaned, watching the blood trickle down my skin.
"Raina?" Legolas asked, moving closer toward me. He crouched.
"Are you alright?"
Despite the pain, I managed to laugh a little.
"Yeah. I'm fine. I just cut my hand."
"Here." The elf says, before rooting around in his bag. "I've got some bandages."
He wound them round my right hand, and I watched him concentrate carefully, being drawn into his exquisite features and cerulean eyes.

His eyes flickered upward to me, and I looked away shyly, before being drawn bag into their abyss. Legolas tied a knot, still staring.
"Ahem." Gandalf coughed.
"Sorry." I found myself apologising, beginning to stand up. Legolas helped me again, and we were onward, the wizard flashing me a slightly amused look.

'Does he know I like him? How many people in this fellowship do? Why do I get the feeling that is everyone knows except Legolas?!'

Now we we're approaching sunset, getting closer and closer to the Mines of Moria.
"Frodo, come and help an old man." Gandalf says and Frodo moves forward. Gandalf leans on him heavily.
"How is your shoulder?" He asks him as I begin to divert my attention to the dismal scene surrounding us. It's like a site of pilgrimage to the dead and buried. I wonder who lived here before, if anybody. Or thing.

To be honest, a lot of things had crossed my mind today. The most important thing being, Gandalf's death. I knew the wizard had to die, well, at least in order for him to be resurrected, but that didn't mean I liked the idea. I had already failed to stop Boromir from picking up the Ring, but I couldn't imagine losing the wizard.

It's strange, because often when I was still on earth, I thought if I ever had adventures with the fellowship, Gandalf's death wouldn't affect me, since I would know he was coming back. But, since knowing the wizard, who was like the grandfather I had never had, it hurt me to think that there was a possibility he would be gone. That he would face death and torment and it would my fault.