28

You were loitering around by the door to the place, scrolling through your phone as you waited for Wilbur, glancing up every time someone walked in front of you, just in case it was him. You could feel your heartbeat in your fingertips, but you didn't care. It was all going to end one way or another tonight.

You knew he would come to find you. It was only a matter of time - and the waiting was killing you. Every person that passed by made your heart jump, because there was a split second every time where you thought it was him. Of course, it wasn't, but it was the jumpiness that mattered, not the why. 

"Hey, Y/N!"

Your heart jumped up into your throat as Wilbur came around the corner, his eyes bright and a wide smile on his face. It felt like it had been ages since you had seen him, even though it had only been a few days. His curls were still as fluffy and bouncy as ever, and he was wearing those big round glasses you loved so much. 

He came to a stop right in front of you. "You didn't tell me you were coming." He said.

"You didn't tell me you got kicked out." You returned. 

"Oh yeah." Wilbur laughed. "Yeah... sorry about that. If I'm going to be honest... I didn't think you would care that much."

Your brow furrowed. "What? Why?" You had cared so much. It had physically stopped you from working at points. It had been all you thought about for almost a week. You had been preparing for emotional withdrawal until Jazzy had pressed that ticket into your hand and kicked you out of the house. 

"I don't know," Wilbur said. "I always got the impression that you didn't like me that much, since you just kind of brushed everything off as me apologizing for the noise and all... but hey, I really appreciate you coming out to see the show again. I was surprised to see you, and I didn't think it was you for a second-"

You cut him off gently, shifting back and forth on your feet. "I'm sorry that I came off the wrong way. I actually really like you."

Wilbur smiled softly. "Well, that's good to know. I like you a lot as well-"

"Probably too much." You threw it in quietly, tacking it onto the end of the last phrase. Your heart was pounding. You watched as Wilbur realized what you had said, his eyes widening slightly, and his eyebrows darting up towards his hair. 

There was a moment of silence that felt like it stretched on for hours before Wilbur spoke again. 

"Um. You said- it almost sounded like you- I." He stopped himself, ducking his head and clearing his throat before looking back up at you. "Please tell me I'm not misinterpreting this."

You shook your head - he'd heard you exactly right. "I, um, I've fancied you for a while. I just never said anything because- mhmp!"

Wilbur tipped your head back slightly, guiding you with a hand that came up to cradle the back of your neck, his other hand slipping down to hold the small of your back as he leaned in to press his lips to yours - insistently, like he was almost desperate, like he'd been waiting for a very long time and thought he would never have the chance.

Your froze for a second before your eyes slipped closed and you began to kiss back, your hands shakily finding their way to his shoulders, and then one trailing up into his curls. They were as soft and fluffy as they looked. 

Wilbur was the one to pull back first, a blissful sort of satisfaction on his face. "Wow." He sighed, his eyes drifting down to meet yours. "I... I should have asked before I did that, holy shit, I'm so sorry, was that okay?" He rapidly pulled away even more, suddenly nervous.

You brought a hand up to your lips, touching them gently. "That was perfect."

Wilbur visibly relaxed. "Thank god." 

You touched your lips again, still surprised at his reaction. "I didn't think you were going to, uh... that."

Wilbur laughed lightly, his ears turning pink at the ends a little. "I'd been wanting to do that for a while, so it just kind of... slipped out I guess."

"Well it was wonderful." You breathed. 

Wilbur's breath caught, and one of his hands slipped into yours, squeezing. "Go out with me." 

"I'd love to-"

"Right now." 

You stopped, looking him in the eye. Right now? But there was a certain intensity in his gaze that you hadn't seen before - he was serious.

"Right now?" You echoed. 

"If you want." Wilbur tacked on. "There's a pub down the road, and I thought you might like to get a drink with me."

You hesitated - you hadn't been planning to stay out longer than the show, but wasn't the whole point of you coming here to be with him anyway? It would be a waste to go home now, after Maddy and Jazzy had made it so that you could be here. 

"Yeah." You said. "That sounds lovely." 

Wilbur was smiling - that smile that was bigger and more genuine than the rest, the one that made your heart flutter. He caught your other hand as well, holding both now, still grinning like an idiot. 

"I've got another request." He said, playfully leaning in closer.

"And that is?" You asked, drawing your joined hands closer to you. The look on Wilbur's face was pure mischief - but it was a good look on him. 

"Can I kiss you again?" 

Your breath caught in your throat and you nodded, letting your eyes fluttered closed as Wilbur leaned all the way in, sealing his lips to yours. He placed your hands on his shoulders so that he could rest on of his on your hip - the other going to cradle your chin. You melted into the kiss, letting your mouth open slightly, so that Wilbur could slip his tongue inside. 

Oh, Jazzy and Maddy were going to have a field day with this.