Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

6. Future

I couldn't describe how I felt. Elated wasn't powerful enough of a word; it didn't do justice to the rush of euphoria and sheer happiness I was in at Luan's completely unexpected acceptance.

Maybe he wouldn't kill me immediately, but I wasn't out of the woods yet. I held my breath until Luan leaned back and our foreheads no longer touched. I stifled a pathetic whimper as he stepped back.

"What about you?" Luan asked after a brief silence.

"M-me?" I stammered.

I hadn't recovered yet from Luan's acceptance. I didn't meet his eyes, instead letting my gaze linger somewhere around his neck.

"Yes," Luan said. "Do you accept me?"

Luan kept catching me off guard. In what world was the acceptance from my side not already assumed? I obviously had no choice but to accept. What was the alternative? Say no to someone who will become the strongest warrior Alpha of the West? Luan suggesting that was even an option bewildered me.

"Of course," I breathed, surprised I could even bring out words. And that my knees hadn't given out again at this point.

"That's not enough," Luan replied firmly without missing a beat. "Say it."

A shiver ran down my spine at the need in his voice.

"I-I accept you as my mate," I blurted.

Instantly, I was pulled into a tight, bone-crushing hug. My cheek pressed against Luan's chest as he held me close. I just stood there, my brain completely flatlined while tingles and pleasure aches flooded my body. I responded strongly to his touch, even without the mark.

It was the same for Luan. I heard blood rushing through his veins and keenly smelled his reaction to me, too. Fear blurred into the background. Still present, but somehow unimportant now.

I could've stayed there all day, but within a few seconds, Luan's two warriors barged into the room. They never left their spot on the other side of the door and had listened in on everything that had transpired.

Luan released me. He glared daggers at the warriors who dared to disturb us. If I'd been the recipient of that menacing look, I would've peed my pants.

The warriors both lowered their head.

"I'm sorry for interrupting, Sir," the taller warrior immediately apologised.

"What is it, Orion?" Luan asked semi-politely, though it was clear he'd much rather kick the warrior out.

"Sir, I was to inform you that your parents are on their way to the sanctuary," Orion the warrior said, lowering his head even further. "They want to meet your mate."

Luan turned to me. His eyes softened the moment they landed on me, but I still jolted up.

"Do you want to meet my parents?" he asked.

I nearly had a heart attack at the idea.

"I, uh," I stuttered. "Of course."

'Yes' wasn't what I wanted to say, but it was the only thing I could say. If Luan's parents wanted to see me, just like Luan, they would make me anyway.

"Can I be excused to prepare myself for the highly esteemed Alpha pair's visit?" I meekly asked.

Luan was quiet for a moment.

"Yes," he eventually answered.

"Thank you."

I bowed, then practically ran past the warriors on my way out of the East wing. Moving away from Luan was painful now. It hurt like my heart was being ripped out of my chest as it wanted to stay with him.

Mom and Dad both waited for me down the stairs. The moment I'd descended, Mom immediately wrapped an arm around my shoulder.

"Come to the office with us fora chat okay, sweetie? It will be alright," she soothed me with gentle words.

I couldn't see how, but I let my mom and dad guide me into Dad's office together. They sat me down on a chair and allowed me to sit there in silence for a few moments. Then Mom bended down next to me and gave my hand a squeeze.

"I know there's a lot suddenly coming at you River, but you have to be strong."

I saw the worry in Mom's eyes, even if she tried not to show it.

"He's not a bad man," my dad added.

I rubbed my eyes.

"I don't think he is," I said. "But not being bad means... means nothing if he wants me to join him at his pack."

The moment I spoke, I instantly realised a bunch more consequences to being Luan's mate that I hadn't even considered yet. Mates shouldn't be apart too long. And even if we could somehow live separately, I couldn't stay here at the castle. I'd put everyone in grave danger. As the mate of the future Alpha, I had a massive target on my back. Enemies of Cecilia and Derek would love to get their hands on me, use me to get to the pack.

I saw no way Luan would leave the castle without me, if he still intended to mark me after his parents visited. It was well possible Luan's parents would try to talk sense into him. He couldn't take me home as his mate and expect his entire pack to accept the decision willy-nilly.

I was quiet for a while, overthinking my fate. Dad placed his hand on my shoulder.

"If you join his pack, you wouldn't join as a pack warrior," he reminded me. "You'd join as someone who the warriors have to revere."

I grimaced. "But they wouldn't 'revere' me because of something I did. I'd only be because they have the threat of an Alpha looming over their head."

Mom and Dad glanced at each other. They said nothing because I was right. And for many people, the status was enough.

Being the Alpha's mate was a highly valued position. Many warrior pack wolves and other werewolves alike often grabbed any opportunity to meet with allied packs, hoping a high-ranked warrior or even better, an Alpha, was their mate.

Especially being an Alpha's match meant no more shitty work. It meant no more dangerous fights. In human terms, as Isabella once mentioned, it was like becoming a billionaire's partner. She admitted she had once hoped for it as a little girl, before swiftly deciding she didn't want to be a 'pick me' girl and left her warrior pack.

I squeezed my eyes shut. Many werewolves hoped to be an Alpha's partner, but I didn't want it. I wanted nothing to do with that life.

"I don't want to leave the sanctuary," I said firmly. "I want to become a doctor. Regardless of status within the warrior pack, I'll be nothing on my own anymore if I go with Luan."

Mom rubbed my arm. "Sweetie, you're making so many assumptions of what the Alpha's son wants you to do. Remember: he has accepted you. You can talk to him and ask what his plans are and tell him yours. Perhaps there's a way you can make it work."

"Not to mention, the curse that brought Luan's wolf into a deep slumber," Dad reminded me. "As long as Luan can't shift, he's not stronger than a human. If he doesn't stay here, at the very least, he's not returning to his pack."

"And then Derek and Cecilia's pack will fall because Avryn is not a good leader," I mumbled, remembering Dad's words acutely.

Dad's face pinched. He didn't take kindly to me repeating his words after he told me to forget them.

"Sorry," I immediately apologised, casting my eyes to the floor. "I will try to to talk to him."

"Luan may be an Alpha, but he's also your mate now you have accepted each other. You have nothing to fear from your mate if you talk to him," Mom said.

I strongly doubted that sentiment. Mom's experiences with Dad as her mate differed vastly from what mine would be. Mom and Dad weren't far apart in status. They didn't have legions of werewolves, ally and enemy, who'd have an opinion on their bond. They didn't decide the future of the strongest pack of the West.

With Luan as my mate, I suddenly had all those issues to face, and much to fear.