Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

11. A Chance

I walked to the gates at the back of the sanctuary as soon as I could, wanting to follow the note and head into town.

I marched through the castle halls, wondering what Liliana wanted to tell me. Did she know something the others didn't? Was she truly meaning to help us? If so, why?

The questions shot through my head at lighting speed. I was completely focused on my goal until my nose picked up the most wonderful scent trail coming from outside.

I turned the corner, stepped into the garden, and froze.

Luan stood there, looking over the grassy fields and hills in the distance. But he'd heard me. He turned to me the moment I stepped outside.

At first he looked startled. When he saw it was me, however, a sheepish smile appeared on his face. It was one of the most strangely adorable things I'd ever seen. That smile on the tall as a tree, broad and muscular Alpha warrior. Like he was a little boy I'd caught stealing a cookie from the jar.

"I know, people aren't supposed to see me," Luan hastily said. "I just couldn't stand staying indoors any longer."

I understood that perfectly, and couldn't help but feel sympathy for him. I would hate sitting inside, looking at the same walls day in day out. Scratch that: it'd already drive me nuts after a single day.

"I, uh, I will tell no one I saw you here," I offered with a stammer I wasn't able to shake around my mate.

"Thanks."

Luan's smile widened, making my stomach flip. He was so incredibly... incredible. How could he be my mate?

It took me a few seconds to register Luan's lips were moving. I blinked and shook myself out of it.

"Uh, sorry, what did you say, Sir... Luan...?"

Luan chuckled. "I asked where you were going. You seemed in a hurry."

Right. The meeting. I was indeed in a hurry. I had to get my ass to town within an hour, or perhaps risk losing my shot of talking to Liliana. Still, now that I was in front of Luan, I didn't want to leave. My own awkwardness every time I faced him killed me, but I also didn't want him to go.

"I'm going to town for a bit," I pressed out. "I don't have to work today."

Luan nodded. "I see. That sounds nice. Can I come with you?"

"I—" I sputtered, opening and closing my mouth.

All my instincts and my wolf screamed at me to say yes. Keep him with you. Forever and always. Besides, nothing had changed. I couldn't deny him. He outranked me and I didn't have the authority to say no.

I swallowed thickly and kept my mouth shut.

Luan took a step closer to me. He looked deeply into my eyes and I felt dizzy, yet utterly unable to break our eye-contact.

"Please," he said. "Give me a chance. For both our sakes."

I released a shaky breath through my mouth. Luan wasn't lying. I hadn't given him a chance so far. Not really. All I'd been doing was comply because I had to because he was an Alpha, or run away from him because he made me unbearably nervous in multiple ways.

"I still frighten you," Luan stated.

He wanted to step back, away from me. No. In a reflex, I grabbed his arms, surprising myself. I felt him jolt at the unexpected gesture, too.

He stayed completely still, but I immediately let go like I'd touched a hot stove.

It wasn't fair what I did. If Luan had been anyone else but the Flores pack's future Alpha, or any Alpha, I would have welcomed my mate with open arms and a warm heart. Even if he'd been a pack warrior.

icon lock

Show your support for EdenY_, and continue reading this story

by EdenY_
@EdenY_
Mating an alpha to a rogue terrified of alphas, and a bodyguard to th...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 45 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @EdenY_.