30

You woke up slowly, your head throbbing lightly. You rolled over, peeling your eyes open and squinting against the light of the morning. Something was pressed up against your back and you turned your head to find Wilbur's curls buried in your shoulder. 

You smiled, and ran your hand through the locks, memories of last night coming back to the forefront of your mind.

The show. Wilbur catching you eye from the stage. The first kiss, after you had told him how you felt. The pub, and the languid way he had looked at you, his eyes trailing over your face. The road, and the kiss under the lamppost. Working the warmth back into his fingers. His apartment, and flopping on the bed, too tired to move. Wilbur's fingers working through your hair, gently soothing you to sleep. 

Now, he was curled up against your back, stirring awake slightly. His eyes blinked open, slowly focusing on yours, and a bleary smile coming to play on his lips.

"Morning." You said. 

"Morning." He yawned. "Sleep alright?"

You nodded, flipping over so that you could bury your face into his chest, sighing contentedly. "Got a nasty headache though."

"Well, drinking does that." He said, running a hand through your hair and massaging circles into your scalp. You pressed into his hand more, chasing the touch. "I'll go get some Advil and water."

He slipped away from you and off the bed, disappearing into another room of the apartment. You were loath to get out of the sheets - they were warm, and smelled like Wilbur and sleep, but after a moment you hauled yourself out of the bed. You were still wearing your clothes from last night - Wilbur had been too - and you were sure the makeup Jazzy had done was a mess as well, but you found yourself uncaring.

You padded out into the hallway, following Wilbur into the kitchen. He was filling two tall glasses of water when you stepped in, and his head popped up, smiling when he saw you. 

He handed you two Advil and one of the glasses. "You could have stayed in bed. I would have brought them for you, you know." 

You popped the pills into your mouth and swallowed them down with a swig of water. "I should probably be going soon anyway." You said. "What time is it?"

Wilbur pulled out his phone, taking his Advil. "Almost lunch." He said. 

"Oh. Well." You said. "So much for going in to work today then." 

Wilbur laughed, setting down his water in exchange for draping himself over your shoulders. "Don't tell me you were actually going to go into work today."

"I was thinking about it." You said, leaning into the touch. 

"You work too much." Wilbur said, pressing a line of kisses along your throat. You leaned back to lay your head on his shoulder, reveling in the easy affection. Already, everything was so natural with him - you didn't even have to try. 

"People tell me that a lot." You said, downing another gulp of water. 

"Maybe you should listen to them." Wilbur said. He slipped away for a second to place his empty glass in the sink. "We should go get breakfast."

"I thought you said it was almost lunch." You said, downing the rest of your water and placing your empty glass in the sink as well. 

"Brunch then." Wilbur amended. "I'm hungry, and since you're not going into work today, we can go on a proper date."

"I probably look like a mess." You said. "I can't go out like this."

"I think you look great." Wilbur said. 

You rolled your eyes. "Your biased." 

"You're right, I am." Wilbur said. "We'll stay in then. I can make eggs." He sounded so excited about it that you just had to laugh, which caused Wilbur to laugh as well, until you were both just stood in his kitchen, cackling like idiots. 

When the laughter finally ceased Wilbur leaned against the counter, just looking at you with a soft fondness in his eyes. You gazed back - taking in the sleep rumpled clothes that he hadn't bothered to change last night, the one odd curl that stuck up at the back of his head, the bags drawn under his eyes.

He had never looked better. 

You closed this distance between you, going to kiss him but Wilbur tilted his head up, leaning away. 

You back down with a frown. "What's that about?"

"I haven't brushed my teeth yet." He said, slipping past you and into the bathroom. "I don't want you to have to kiss my morning breath."

You laughed as he went, listening to the tap turn on from the bathroom as he brushed his teeth. You took a seat on the edge of the counter and pulled out your phone - just clinging to life from not being charged last night - to see 72 texts, all from Maddy and Jazzy. 

Looking back, you probably should have texted them that you weren't coming home.

You shot off a quick message to the groupchat you had with them in explanation.

sorry i didn't tell u guys i wasn't coming home, i promise im alive, i just ended up staying with wilbur bc we went for a few drinks and i didnt want to drive :) love you both

The responses were immediate. 

From Maddy; glad ur alive :)) ur articles are done and waiting for u when u come home

From Jazzy; all three bases in one night, goddamn 

You felt your face heat up as you looked at her message, and you were quick to correct her. 

we just kissed jazz calm down

She sent only a frowning face back.

You had just slipped your phone back into your pocket when Wilbur returned, cradling your chin so that he could tilt your head back and plant a kiss on your lips. 

"There." He said, pulling back. "Much better than a stinky morning breath kiss."

You hummed in agreement and leaned up for another, throwing your arms around his neck to pull him closer. You had nowhere to be but here, and nothing to do but enjoy the feeling of Wilbur's arms around you. 

For the first time in a long time, you were truly happy.