❁ 5 ❁

It felt like my legs would give at any second. I barely had time to process the fact that we had made it to the back gate. Angel immediately looked for a way to jump over. "Hurry! Push me over!" He cried.

"What?! And what about me?!" I yelled, out of breath.

"I'll help pull you over once I'm on the other side! Just hurry!" He grabbed the bars of the gate and waited. I didn't know whether if I should trust him or not. But there was no time to think! Without hesitating, I grabbed him by the waist and lifted him over. I could hear the panting of the dog getting closer and closer. Tears began to stream down my face as I tried climbing the gate myself. I held out my hand for Angel to grab but felt nothing. This was it. My lifeless body would be found in the morning having been mauled by a rabid dog.

Suddenly, I felt something pull my arm with extreme force. The adrenaline in my body did the rest of the work pulling me to the other side, falling straight onto my back. The wind was knocked out of me once I had made impact on the ground. The dog crashed into the gate and barked so loud that it almost shattered my eardrum. I could hear Angel breathe a sigh of relief as he held out a hand to help me up.

I took it and tried my best to keep myself steady. "Why... is there... a rabid... dog on the loose," I managed to barely get out.

"It's the guard dog. If we wanna get back in, we're gonna have to go through the front garden." Angel seemed unphased. Almost as if he wasn't afraid of dying. It was rather unnerving. I couldn't stop my body from shaking. I guess I was still in a state of shock. Knowing this, Angel waited until I felt better. He was so strange. I always thought he didn't have an empathetic bone in his body. Guess I was wrong.

It turned out that behind the school was a small park. On the other side of that park was the Solidad Boys Academy. Inhaling and exhaling deeply, I followed Angel through the park. It was very quiet. I didn't know what to say to him. All I could do was sneak glances at him every now and then. Even in the moonlight, his skin glowed. Figures.

"Are you gonna keep staring at me or do you have something to say?"

I jumped. I hadn't realized I was being so obvious. "I- Uh- haha..." I nervously stumbled to say something. Why was I so awkward? After all, I never was good at talking to boys. It was quiet again. Instead, this time, I decided to look at the scenery. There were bushes with different colored roses that aligned the path we were walking on. Looking at the thorns reminded me of someone.

"Magnolia said something in a different language to me today, er, yesterday." Since it was midnight, I figured today had now become yesterday.

Angel looked up at me. "She's half Russian."

"Hmm, I wonder what she said."

He laughed. "I don't think you want to know what she said."

I lowered my head and gave a weary smile. "Yeah, you're probably right."

We both stopped in front of a black iron fence. I could barely see the school on the other side. "They don't have a guard dog here, right?" I let out a nervous laugh.

"I guess we'll find out," Angel replied which made me even more anxious. Again, I helped him get over to the other side while he attempted to help me as best he could. Because I was out of adrenaline, it was much more difficult for me to hop over. Right when I was going to jump down, I heard a tear. The back of my sweater ripped open.

"Oh, why me?" I whined. Angel found all of this very amusing. I rolled my eyes and remembered to stay alert in case we were faced with another angry dog. The school seemed almost identical to ours—European architecture, resembling that of an old castle.