Chapter 2- Death makes mistakes too

There was only darkness, and it was in total darkness that I awoke. Scared, I tried to call for someone, anyone. But no one responded, and I felt increasingly scared by the minute. My brain, overworked and senseless, thought it was a good idea to run aimlessly into this empty void. And from within this darkness came a voice, calm and chilling.

"Lost soul, fear not. The more you fear, the more you will be sucked by the abysm."

I stopped to look around, trying to locate where the voice had come from. A vain effort, as the darkness was deep and slurry and prevented anything from shining through.

Freaked out and with little control over my body, I screamed through my lungs and continued to run in panic. The voice responded to my actions with an audible tsk.

"Child, you will turn me deaf! Calm down and the darkness will dissipate!" The voice said, commanding and stern.

"Easy for you to say... why should I trust you?" I retorted back, defiant yet shaking like a weak vine.

Sensing my distrust, the voice gained a sweeter tone, as if to dull me in.

"Trust my words. I bear no ill intentions. Now try to slow your breathing. Inhale... and exhale... Inhale... Exhale..."

Since I saw no other alternative but to trust the voice within this strange place, I slowed down my breath and closed my eyes. Inhale and Exhale.

I repeated it again and again until I felt mildly relaxed. Then, a warm sensation filled my body and all my negative emotions, the doubt, the fear, the panic, disappeared like bubbles in the sky. When I was sure I had them under control, I finally dared to open my eyes, one at a time.

The brightness blinded me for a short while, making it hard to see what was around me. But soon, a daunting vision greeted my eyes. A figure in a black hooded cape in the middle of nothing but a smoky white space. Too blurry at first, I could only tell how tall it was, a giant compared to my tiny stature.

Time allowed me to understand what was before me: the face of an impossibly handsome man.

The rest of his body, however, remained hidden under that cape.

"You must be a little confused..." started the man as he came closer. His face had sharp edges and eyes the colour of midnight purple, and was incredibly hard to read.

What a strange person...

He gave me a disproving glance, as if he had heard me, even though I would never dream of saying those words to him.

"Dear soul..." he called. The only change on his face was the appearance of a sad glint in his violet eyes. "Unfortunately, you have finished the cycle of your life." He finished, waiting for my response. When I said nothing, he clarified. "You are dead, dear soul."

"I got that.... but how.... why?? This must be a joke... Who are you??" I rambled while I wandered in circles, hands on my head as if the gesture would help me gather my thoughts.

Dead?! That is impossible! I have so many things I still need to do... no... it is an Illusion... I was too tired, so I fell asleep. This was nothing more than the product of my sleep-deprived mind. It is only a dream, Luna. Only a dream.

The man looked at me with increased sadness. "Dear soul, unfortunately, this is not a dream. I am Death, who oversees all souls."

I wheezed, unable to understand how this could be. How death seemed so hollow and never-ending. How a man as enticing as him could bring the news of my end with such a nonchalant expression. But more, I refused to believe that this was all there was for me. That my life was just a mesh of short and unfulfilling moments.