Twenty Five

"Remember, remember, this is now, and now, and now.

Live it, feel it, cling to it.

I want to become acutely aware of all I've taken for granted."

Sylvia Plath

I awoke that morning, for the first time in Thane's arms.

It was an odd feeling, a comfortable one. The heat from his body seeped into every inch of me, with his body pressed to the length of my back and his thick arm wrapped around my waist. I could feel his even breaths against my neck, slow and calming.

I had never awoken in anyone's embrace like this before.

I liked it.

There was an alarm clock on Thane's bedside, the red numbers telling me it was much later than when I usually crawled out of bed. Yet another morning training session with Thane had been missed. It was somewhat annoying, missing so many training sessions in a row. But I wasn't sure I could be all that mad when the alternative was this.

Besides, I was more surprised that Thane was still in bed. I knew as Alpha he kept a busy schedule. If he wasn't aiding training, running patrols, settling dispute or keeping the pack and the trainees organised, I knew he now also had to begin training Riley.

I turned in his arms as slowly as I could without waking him. He looked so peaceful like this. Nothing like the ferocious Alpha he was forced to be in front of other packs, or even the strong male he presented himself to his pack. He was just a male, sleeping, features settle into softness; the usually scowl, furrowed brows and taut mouth were gone.

I barely had the heart to wake him, but knew - like me - he preferred to start his day early.

"Thane," I murmured softly, brushing my fingertips across his face. I dragged my touch lightly across his cheek, drawing down towards his lips. "Thane."

He didn't wake, his even breaths steady and undisturbed.

"Thane," I murmured again, replacing my hand with my mouth as I pressed my lips to his in a feather-light kiss.

I pulled back just as a smile curved across his mouth.

"Good morning," he whispered, eyes half lidded with sleep.

"I'd certainly say so," I said, my expression twin to his own with a satisfied grin.

We spent longer than we should have in bed together, but considering who I was with, I didn't think it would be much of a problem if I missed today's training with Lorcan. And I couldn't tear myself away from Thane, not as lips danced a dangerous path down my neck, and his wandering hands found themselves brushing across my entire body.

It certainly was a good morning, allowing myself to be entirely devoured by him.

We didn't leave that bed until an hour later, both of us stumbling to the kitchen with an air of complete satisfaction.

My smiles didn't last long though.

Breakfast was an exceedingly awkward affair.

It wasn't often that so many wolves all ate together on a morning, what with the staggered training times and the inner packs busy schedules. But here I was, sat between Sandra and Lorcan at the dining table, Thane opposite me, with a few other enforcer wolves eating at the table and around the kitchen. Alpha Allister, whose current residence in Colorado I had almost forgotten, was sat at the very end of the table. His eyes were darting between Thane and I with a surprising amount of amusement in his expression. I didn't acknowledge it.