{48}

Brie screamed and squeezed her eyes shut, feeling air rush past her face as she rolled to the side. Flecks of concrete flew into her eyes, a loud metal ringing filling her ears. She opened her eyes, panting for breath, as Rafe stared down at her. His eyes were dark and cruel, sweat dripping from his hair.

"Brie! No!"

She could hear JJ shouting, then the sound of Barry hitting him again, but she couldnt take her eyes off Rafe in fear that he would strike again. She swear that her heart could crack her ribs with the way that it pounded in her chest, blood running cold in her veins at the realisation that Rafe was trying to kill her yet again.

When he swung again, Brie was ready. She dropped flat to the floor and lifted her hand, grabbing the bar as it passed over her head. Rafe faltered in shock and she took her chance, ripping it from his grip. She didnt think twice, pulling the heavy metal bar back and cracking it over Rafe's head, making him collapse onto the ground.

Hands grabbed her from behind and she cried out in fear, kicking her legs out desperately. She tried to prise the hands off her, but they dug into her harder.

"You think you're gonna get away with shooting me?" Barry snarled in her ear, "Both of ya'll are dead. You hear me? Dead."

She felt the gun prod her side and she couldnt help but whimper as terror consumed her. She was so sick of feeling do small and vulnerable, so scared all of the time. She was fucking done.

"Do it then," she said through gritted teeth, "Shoot me. Go on."

"What?" He asked, angrily, "You think I won't?"

"You won't," she replied, trying to hide the fear in her voice, "You're a fucking coward."

"A coward?" Barry yelled, clawing his hand around her neck.  She choked desperately as he shook her by her throat roughly. "You got a death wish, girl? I'll fucking kill you and your boyfriend, you got that? I'll kill you!"

Clearly, Brie thought as she struggle dark breath. She felt her neck becoming slowly more bruised, her throat aching painfully. She grunted, trying to get Barry to loosen his grip, but it was useless. She wouldnt be able to last much longer. She could feel the energy quickly being drained from her body.

JJ suddenly appeared behind Barry, blood covering the side of his blonde hair and the lead pipe in his hand. He struck Barry over the head hard, making him crumble to the floor. Brie fell to her knees, wheezing and holding her tender neck. JJ fell down next to her, pulling her into him. She sighed and rested her head against his chest, body overcome with exhaustion.

"Are you okay?" He asked, holding the side of her face gently. She nodded and rubbed the sore skin on her neck. She lifted her hand and brushed across his cheek, where there was already a purple bruise forming.

"You're hurt," she said, sadly. Why was it always them? She swore they were cursed.

"I'm fine, princess," he smiled, helping her to her feet. "Let's just get out of here before crazy and crazier wake up."

They hooked up the trailer to the jeep and drove down to the dock, where Kiara and Pope were already waiting.

"Oh my god!" Kiara exclaimed upon seeing the blood dripping down JJ's forehead, "JJ, what happened?"

"Rafe and Barry happened," Brie grumbled, setting to work on unloading the boat.

"They tried to kill us," JJ said, "They even had a freaking gun."

"What?" Pope yelled, shocked, "Are you guys alright?"

"Not really," JJ said, angrily slamming down the ramp to get the boat into the water, "Let's just do this, alright?"