Chapter Fourteen: Harebrained Decisions

He didn't complain or even make a sound of behest. He was grateful, eternally grateful for her kindness towards him. He could have been abandoned, thrown out into this new and strange age—where lofty towers reached beyond the clouds, vehicles faster than horse and carriage were made. Where men and women boarded long metal creatures that slithered underneath the ground like snakes. Where a small device could hold information greater than an endless library from the heavens.

Yes, the world was more vast than the last time he had been here—and she chose to take him in.

She had given him a name.

Xue sighed inwardly as he glanced out the window panes, the glittering stars were hidden from his sight—the view of towering buildings now becoming a little less wonderful to him.

"You look like you're missing a certain someone again." Han Jing's voice brought him out of his reverie.

He managed a smile, "I'm just a little anxious of Miss Chan Lee's arrival...this world is quite different from what I can recall."

"Don't you fret at all," Han Jing smiled as he looked up from his phone. "Our city is pretty safe. I'll let you know that Chan Lee probably missed a station or something."

"I apologize...I'm nervous despite her wearing a talisman now."

"Ye—what? What did she wear?!"

"A talisman, she got it yesterday night...I feel bad about it." Xue chewed on his lip. Did she get it because of him? Was his presence bothering her?

"She's not going to purchase a talisman!" Han Jing bursted out. "She's not the type to believe in the supernatural—heck, if you weren't gleaming and beaming with that smile and your glowing hair, she'd see you as a crazed lunatic."

"Uh, I think you were the one who called me demented?" Xue recalled with a sheepish smile. A time where cultivators and spirits no longer roamed...it was enough to call him crazy for believing otherwise.

But the talisman had been proof.

He could feel the faint power within it, but it hadn't done anything else to him or to her.

"When I saw that necklace, I assumed she bought some weird funky trinket—why didn't you tell me?!" Han Jing stood up from his spot in the room.

Guilt made its way to his chest. "I...I thought she didn't want to talk about it." Maybe it had been used to ward spirits? Were other spirits now attaching themselves to her?

"What if it was some cursed talisman!"

"I would have told her, but I think that one was safe." There hadn't been anything scary like that for the days he'd been here, so it was unlikely.

"You aren't sure?!"

"I sensed nothing harmful from it." Now that Han Jing mentioned it, he thought about it more. "If Miss Chan Lee isn't one to buy a protective pendant, it must have been a gift from—"

The door swung open to reveal her and Hua Zhao. She was nestled on his back. His question now easily answered.

"Woah—not prepared for an armed robbery!" Han Jing shouted dramatically and backed into the wall.

"Huh, neat apartment." Hua Zhao simply walked towards her bed, ignoring Han Jing's outburst. "Well, down we go."

Chan Lee settled down on her bed, looking up to him. "Uh, thanks."

"No problem, better rest your ankle a bit."

It was like they were lost in their own little world.