t h i r t y f o u r

26 MAY 2034

◣ C A M E R A 1

a knock on a door echoed around the seemingly vacant house as the sun peered through the curtains of the boy's room. namjoon opened the door, his eyes still fixed on the lines he was deciphering.

"here's your tea, hyung! what are you doing up so early?"

namjoon placed the book on the table simultaneously removing his glasses with the other hand. he flashed a reassuring smile at the younger who saw right through his friend's counterfeit smile. he stayed silent. he knew exactly what namjoon was doing throughout the night.

the books and papers thrown open across the floors, covering any visible sight of the hardwood floor.

namjoon took the teacup from jeongguk's hands, his finger brushing against the fractured edge of the cup. he returned to his seat without a word, leaving jeongguk to trail after his steps.

"are you still sad about them dying, hyung? do you still think about them?"

these words caught namjoon off guard so when he lifted his head, he didn't have an answer ready to be announced. he stuttered.

"yes jeongguk, everyday."

jeongguk tilted his head.

"they're in a better place, right?"

namjoon nodded.

"any place is better than this."

silence followed and so jeongguk settled on the floor, next to the seat in which the older was seated. he leaned against namjoon's foot and namjoon fondly ruffled his hair.

"what did you find with all this research, hyung?" jeongguk spoke softly. streaks of light drew patterns on his skin and so he closed his eyes, giving into the luminescence. namjoon flipped a page and the sound of his thumb brushing against the aged paper brought a strange sense of comfort to the younger.

"well, i'm not sure but-" namjoon said, "but this calls for a group meeting."

***

"peter pan syndrome?" yoongi repeated the words, cautiously. "isn't that the kid that flies around or some shit?"

namjoon nodded, hurriedly throwing open a book on the kitchen table and momentarily flipping through the pages until he settled on a page with a small aha. the crowd leaned over the book and namjoon's voice narrated the words on the surface as their eyes widened every passing second.

"peter pan syndrome is a condition in which a person (most commonly observed in men) finds difficulty in accepting adulthood, hence, appearing to be an adult with a child's mind. such people develop said syndrome due to causes such as anxiety and trauma. often considered as delinquents and juveniles, they are said to be comparatively more prone to violence and negative emotions."

when namjoon's voice trailed out to a stop, all eyes were on jeongguk who watched curiously, unable to decipher the meaning behind the older's words. he failed to understand the reason behind the hugs he soon received from his three friends and the 'you're not alone' that namjoon whispered in his ear.