Agony

Content Warning: Child abuse, physical abuse, violence, strong language
___________________________________

George looked through the dirty, stained window. The paint from the wooden frame chipped off with the slightest breath, revealing its old skeleton. Past through the trees was the park. Although it was hard to see; it was there. It was down the long, empty street, just a minute away from his house.

Every day he grew more lonely. He felt like a caged animal, never being able to see the outside world. There was nothing to do but sit and think, and even that has become tedious. Imagining what it would be like to have a friend hurt too much, because he knew something like that would never happen.

He looked at the park once again. He couldn't remember what it felt like to ride a slide, rushing down with excitement, heading towards the ground. Maybe the swing set was even more fun; he wondered how high he could get, maybe high enough to touch the sky. But such a simple task possessed an enormous risk.

Should I go?

George quietly got up and walked to his father's room, standing in front of the dark door. He stood in silence, waiting for a sound. His heart started racing as soon as he heard his loud snoring.

This is my chance.

He slowly headed to the front door, stepping outside and shutting the door behind him. The cool breeze caressed his pale face, making him smile. Not wasting any time he rushed down the street, heading straight to the park. He looked both ways before crossing the street, stepping onto the grass. He looked up at the playground, realizing it was empty. For some reason George thought he could build up the courage to make a friend, but today wasn't that day,

He climbed up the tall slide, taking a second before plunging down. The excitement pulsed through his veins, laughing as he hit the ground. He quickly got up and ran to the swings, sitting down. His legs swung back and forth, feeling the motion picking up. He got higher and higher, smiling. George looked up at the sky, looking at the birds flying freely with the clouds.

He had no idea how much time had passed before he finished playing on the playground. He dusted himself off and decided to go home. He ran back as fast as he could, slowing down as he stood in front of his old house. George walked up the patio steps, quietly opening the door, flinching as it creaked.

He took a step inside, looking up.

"Where the hell were you."

George's heart dropped. He looked him in the face with quivering eyes.

"I-I was at the park." his voice died, he looked down at the dirty floor. George could already feel the tears welling up in his eyes.

The man leaned over, "What did I say about going outside?" his breath reeked of alcohol.

He shut his eyes, bracing for impact, "God, you're so fucking stupid!" The man stood up and struck George in the face, knocking him to the ground. He let out a cry in pain. The man grabbed him by the neck, "Why don't you ever listen to me!?" He banged George's head on the floor as he spoke his hurtful words, "Why are you so fucking stupid!? You're worthless piece of shit!" George screamed in pain, sobbing as his head hit the floor. The man stood up and kicked him repeatedly in the stomach.

"I-I'm s-sorry-" George couldn't finish his sentence before being kicked again. The man picked him up and walked to the back door. He opened it and threw him down the steps and onto the ground. His skin dragged across the pavement, making his fragile skin bleed. He screamed in pain as he hit the ground once more, breaking out into hysterics.