Chapter 23

As far as this day is going, Mr.Durante and I are having a heavy schedule today. Today was filled with meetings, back to back. It was mostly with different departments within the company.

Now, though, we have to go to Archer Industries for a meeting with the CEO, Alistair Archer, regarding a major business deal that may benefit both companies if the other party accepts the agreement.

I made sure to print out the paperwork needed for the meeting. Placing the papers in my file, I looked at my watch to see that we have 45 minutes left for the meeting. I looked at the ride's duration to Archer Industries to see that it would take a long time, so I decided we should leave now.

A few days ago, I realized that there was a door connecting mine and Mr.Durante's office. So, I used it to enter his office. I knocked on the door in which he said 'come in' instantly. Upon entering his office, I saw Mr.Durante being busy on his laptop, but what caught my eye is that we wore glasses. I've never seen him wearing glasses before. Strangely enough, the way he was looking intensely at his computer with the glasses on was amusing, but I didn't dare even to chuckle.

"Yes, Miss. Roberts?" he asked me.

"Sir, we have a meeting with Mr. Archer at Archer Industries. I think it's best for us to head there now," I said to him.

He looked at his watch and said, "Oh yeah, indeed. Give me a second, please."

Mr. Durante proceeded to place his business essentials in his briefcase and stood up.

"Come this way," Mr.Durante said, his hand showing the back of his office. This made me confused.

He unlocked his phone and seemed to tap on a button. The action revealed a hidden lift.

It opened as soon as it came into view, making me look inside. The lift was entirely different than the other lifts in the building. It looked slightly larger than others in terms of its surface area, and the lift itself's structure is different.

We walked into the lift, and it closed its doors. I noticed that when the doors were closed, it sounded as there were a few huge magnetic doors was locked.

"This is a technologically advanced lift," I heard him telling me as I was busy checking for my essential things in my bag.

"Why the safety measure, may I ask?" I looked at him and questioned.

"You see, being a successful businessman has its challenges. One of them is to prevent my enemies to harm me, people associated with me and my company. This lift is to ensure our safety since we are most likely the people who will be attacked," he said, his face being emotionless.

Fear crept up my body. Harm? Attack? Enemies? What is he talking about?

"Don't worry, Miss. Roberts. I'm sure they won't harm you because you will be no use for them, and also you're under my protection. If anything happens, it would just affect Jake and me," he said, sensing my fearful expression.

Even though his words sounded reassuring, the thought of people wanting to harm him to gain power made me feel terrified. This man literally had to live every day like his last day on Earth.

I was also disgusted with his enemies. Why would people go as far as harming someone for the sole purpose of being on the top rank? Do numbers really matter to them?

I'll never know about it, at least for now, because I'm still new to the business world.

The sound of the speaker saying that it already reached the basement pulled me out of my thoughts. We walked out of the lift after it opened its doors.