《 Chapter 26 》

Mother drove me back to grandma's very early that Sunday morning. She told me she had to drive back home that day since her leave was over. She worked in a public firm. I felt nauseous all the way to grandma's lonely and secluded house.

The house was quiet as usual. Not a single sound could be heard; not even that of the television. I retired straight to my room while mother went to see grandma before she left. She hugged and kissed me goodbye when I went to see her off. I didn't want her to leave. I wanted to spend more time with her.

I didn't see grandma throughout that day and I was less concerned. My heart knew no bound as I dressed for school the next day. I would finally get to see the one I had missed so terribly; the one who had secured a large part of my heart. I ate the meal prepared by the housekeeper and was driven to school by my driver.

To my horror, Peter was not on the assembly ground. My heart sank. Could it be his parents took him to another school to separate us from each other? A huge lump hung in my throat. I marched soberly into my class only to see Peter leaning by the wall of the class, staring at his shoes. I stood aghast; I couldn't believe my eyes. He looked up immediately and our eyes met.

"Peter." I breathed and he smiled broadly at me. That smile! How I missed it. He opened his arms wide and I jumped right in without thinking. I hugged him tightly and a tear dropped. I wasn't even bothered about we being in public and a teacher could walk by anytime. I was just so overjoyed that he was around.

"I thought your parents had taken you away to another school," I told him as I rested my head on his shoulder. I didn't want to pull away. Never!

"Why would you think so? You are the one who went AWOL for a full week." Peter pulled himself from my embrace.

"Not really. I was around last Monday." I protested.

"Yea and I heard the story of how you kept Amara in her place. I'm proud of you, girl." Peter pulled my cheek and I grinned.

"Where have you been? I got so worried I wanted to show up at your gate. But then, I remembered the last experience so I decided against it." Peter told me as we walked into the classroom. I could see my classmates looking at me funny but I ignored them.

"You're not going to believe this, Peter. This past week is the best week of my life. I'll tell you the details later. By the way, what happened between you and your parents? I'm so sorry I put you in that condition."

"Nothing happened between me and my parents. They only warned me just as every parent would and that was all. Now, throw me a gist on what occurred last week. I'm dying to hear."

Just then, the teacher walked in and I hurried to my seat. A sheet of paper was passed to me minutes later by Peter through some of my classmates. It read: break hour. Regular spot.

I smiled broadly as I stared at the back of Peter's head. He turned around that instance and winked at me.

Immediately the bell rang for break, I saw Peter standing outside the Chemistry Lab waiting for me. I walked out and together we ran to the rooftop; my most favourite place in the whole school.

I told Peter every single thing that happened to me that past week. Peter listened with wonder and admiration in his eyes as I told my story. He clapped and cheered immediately I finished.

"I'm proud of you. I wondered if this day would ever come: the day you stand up to your grandma. Seriously, I was pissed at your grandmother that Saturday. I'm glad you told her everything you wanted to tell her to her face. "

"Not everything. But almost everything. I still can't believe she lied about my father. That woman is something else. I really can't wait to leave that house." I told Peter.