xlvi.

Cassiopeia watches numbly as they lower the coffin into the grave

Cassiopeia watches numbly as they lower the coffin into the grave. Sirius is holding her hand in hopes to give her a feeling of comfort as they bury one of her closest friends. It had been a week now since the death of Dorcas Meadowes and it hadn't been an easy one for them. Dumbledore had told them to take time to mourn their friend, so none of them had gone on another patrol since.

Marlene moves close to where the grave was dug, and drops a rose on top of the coffin. As she steps back, she nearly collapses in tears, but Remus holds on to her and hugs her. Lily and Cassiopeia go next, both dropping a rose on the coffin, before going back to their significant other. Sirius pulls the girl into a hug, letting her cry on his shoulder, while Lily rests her head on James' shoulder.

"I can't believe she's gone." Cassiopeia breaths out and Sirius holds her tightly, trying to comfort her through his own sadness. Mary doesn't stay much longer and leaves, unable to stay. This leaves the seven friends to themselves as they try to accept the fact that they'd lost one of their friends.

"Is this what our lives have come to. Loss? Death?" Peter asks weakly as he looks emotionlessly at the the open grave. James glances at him and smiles weakly. "Did we even realise what we were doing when we signed up to join the Order?"

"Unfortunately, at this point it's too late to leave for your own protection." The gruff voice of Dumbledore speaks up from behind them, and they all turns around to face him. Cassiopeia letting go of Sirius and he looks down at her, before he looks back up. "Things have gotten much worse."

"What do you mean?" Remus asks in worry, as he holds tightly on to Marlene.

"A prophecy. The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies... and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives... the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies...." Dumbledore explains to them and they all look at him in confusion. "Harry is born in the eighth month, and you've defied the Dark Lord multiple times."

"So you're saying our four month old son is supposed to defeat the Dark Lord? With all due respect, Dumbledore. But you can't be serious right now? That's a death sentence on our child." Lily says disbelief, making Dumbledore sighs as he nods in agreement.

"I'm well aware. There is the possibility that prophecy speaks of Alice and Frank Longbottom's son." Dumbledore hums softly and James shakes his head.

"So what we're supposed to just wait and bet on who's child is going to get murdered?" James asks in disbelief, making Cassiopeia fall back against Sirius as she tries not to get overwhelmed by all of this.

"No. Alice and Frank have agreed to go into hiding, with only one person knowing their location. The chosen person will be under Fidelius Charm." Dumbledore explains to them and James sighs looking down sadly.

"So, they have to leave? We won't be able to see them again?" Sirius asks sadly and Dumbledore nods, making them all sad.

"So that's it? We join the Order in hopes of stoping the war only to have us murderer, become runaways." Peter says angrily and Dumbledore sighs.

"Peter, stop." Remus says calmly and Peter shakes his head.

"No. This is bullshit, I'm out. I don't want to be part of this anymore." Peter says before stomping away, not leaving time for anyone to try and stop him. Cassiopeia bites her lip, trying to hold back even more tears.

"When do they have to leave?" Cassiopeia asks weakly, and Dumbledore takes a deep breath.

"The sooner the better. Now, I must go. I'm deeply sorry for all of this." Dumbledore hums, before leaving and they all let out a breath, feeling absolutely defated.