47: The Family Rule

As the game progresses Parker's lack of interest in it is more than evident. As players head back to their sides for a water break, I notice that there is some turmoil between our team.

Theories and assumptions for Parker's bad performance can be heard circulating the bleachers. The girls that once sang his praises are now the ones to criticize him. This situation disgusts me, while at the same time gives me lucidity.

One bad performance can change everything. One bad day can change the way people look at you completely—something I've been through before. But as far as Parker goes, he had it coming.

After the game resumes it only gets worse. Team coordination isn't a thing between them anymore, as a team they are falling apart fast than a chain of dominoes. Unable to watch this misery, I text Noah and ask him if he could tell Louise to pick me up a bit early.

I get an affirmative within seconds. Gathering my stuff, I inform the girls that I'm leaving—to which they protest profoundly, yet I manage to convince them. Stepping out of the stadium, I'm immediately overcome with a wave of regret as the cold wind hits me.

Rubbing my exposed arms, I chastise myself for forgetting my jacket. I have always hated cold nights or cold in general. Just spending too much time in an air-conditioned at times is enough to trigger a massive headache, especially without a jacket.

Freezing in my spot I mentally pray for Louise to come fast so I can get home to my warm comfy bed. 'I could always go inside and wait for him' The thought is eliminated as soon as it comes.

Going back inside isn't much of an option for me, because for one; if the girls catch my sight, they won't let me leave again. And two; seeing Parker in that state kind of makes me feel guilty. Even though he may be the world's biggest jerk, because of a simple empty threat, he has landed into this mess.

If they lose this game—which will be his fault mostly—he might lose the trust of his team or worse coaches' faith in him. And if Parker truly loves basketball as much as he lets people believe he does, there can't be a worse punishment for him than this.

My never-ending train of thoughts comes to a screeching halt when Noah's Aston Martin comes into view and halts right in front of me. 'Wasn't Louise supposed to pick me?' I ask myself, but don't give the sudden change of plans my thought. Jumping into the front seat, I'm immediately welcomed by the warmth and comfort of the expensive car.

Wordlessly Noah resumes driving, without so much as a glance my way. "So, how did it go?" He asks after a few, his eyes firmly fixed on the road. His question although simple and straightforward seems to have a double meaning to me.

Maybe it is the guilt that is making it seem so, or there really is a double meaning. Either way, his question makes me a little nervous. "It went well," I reply keeping my answer short.

"Then why leave before the game ends?" He counter-questions, making no attempts to hide the suspicion in his tone.

"Our team was losing," I reply, my tone barely above a whisper.

"I thought you said it went well?"

His questions give me the impression that he's interrogating me. I don't like the direction in which this conversation is headed, yet I have a feeling that not replying isn't an option here.

"It did, for most of the game," I explain. Instead of asking me yet another question, he just hums in response and we are once again engulfed in silence.

Few minutes into the ride, the silence starts bugging me. Noah's lack of interaction and the uneasiness in my gut troubles me. "How long do you plan on lying?" His sudden question makes me jump in my seat. I shift to face him with wide eyes, shocked at his question.