Concerns and wings

Avengers Compound:

Tony paced the kitchen. He'd had Nat take Morgan with her and the twins. He'd been listening to Peter recount his encounter with Mysterio.

"How does Mysterio even KNOW about Pepper?" Tony asked.

Peter flinched.

"I may have trusted him a little too much." He said

He pulled out his wallet, showing Tony the picture of himself, Tony and Pepper that he kept in the photo pocket. Tony smiled slightly.

"I told him about you and Pepper. How much you meant to me. That I look at Pepper like a mother. That I'd do anything for her."  He sighed. "Mr. Stark I'm so sorry."

Tony had his head on the counter, attempting to hide the smile that had crossed his face.

"It's alright Kid." He said quietly "I...I had no idea you felt like that."

"We've got to get her back." Peter said, his voice was starting to shake.

He felt guilty.

Tony heard footsteps coming up the hall.

"Get who back?" Steve asked, rounding the corner.

Tony debated getting Steve's help. He'd be useful. He was good at rescue missions. Then, Tony saw Emily behind him. His eyes dropped to her stomach. She was starting to show.  His mind drifted back to the horrific scream he'd heard in her memories. He couldn't risk that.

  "Nothing. Don't worry." He said, managing a weak smile.

He motioned for Peter to follow him. He eased past Steve and Emily, placing a gentle hand on Emily's stomach.

  "Everything's fine." He assured as he and Peter left.

Steve watched them leave.

"That was suspicious..." He said quietly as he moved to the fridge.

"Maybe Peter and Mj broke up." Emily shrugged "I mean Tony does have a tendency to go dad mode whenever Pete is hurting."

Steve nodded in agreement, hoping that's all it was. Emily winced as she sat down, Steve moved back across the room to her. She waved him off.

"Just a cramp." She assured him.

He still moved over to her, wrapping his arms around her waist. He was holding her protectively. As though he could keep anything bad from  happening to her and the baby.

  "Are you sure?" He asked nervously.

She nodded, resting his hand on her stomach.

  "We're fine." She promised

She understood his anxiety. They'd lost two children.  She didn't think either of them could handle another loss. She was nervous too.

He smiled softly, rubbing his thumb across the small bump. His demeanor changed from stressed and worried to relaxed and happy. This was his heaven.

River ran into the common area, giggling. Their backs were to her.  she couldn't see their faces. Neither could Bucky who ran in behind her. His laughter stopped quickly as Emily winced again.

  "Is she okay?" He asked anxiously, hearing the small hissing sound she'd made as she winced.

  "I'm fine." She said "It's just a little cramping."

It was to late, Bucky was already over to the couch.

  "James." She laughed "I'm fine."

He was leaning over the back of the couch, his hand now resting beside Steve's. He looked at her, concerned.

"If it gets worse I'll go to the hospital." She promised.

He nodded. Seemingly accepting the answer. River had gone into the kitchen to grab food and was walking back to the couch with a bowl of sweet and sour chicken.

"Isn't that Tony's left overs?" Steve chuckled.

"Mine now." She said.

Bucky turned as River was walking and she ran right into him, covering his white shirt in sauce.

"Babe!" She laughed "I'm sorry."

He glared playfully at her.

"It's fine." He said, slipping the white shirt off and walking to the sink.

He ran cold water over it. Emily turned slightly. She'd caught sight of a new tattoo on his ribs.

"What's that?" She asked "The new tattoo."

"Huh?" He asked, turning around. "oh. I meant to show you two."

He lifted his metal arm to reveal the two sets of wings on his ribs. They had the name "Rogers" in between them.

"For the babies. I put it on my left side so I can protect them forever." He said "They didn't get to live. Doesn't mean they deserve to be forgotten."

Emily smiled weakly, turning her head as tears slipped out. Steve leaned forward, wiping the tears away.

"Oh. That was not the plan." Bucky said, turning the water off and walking back over.

He hugged her from behind the couch. 

  "I'm sorry Milly." He whispered "I love you."

She squeezed his wrist, noticing he only had  his normal arm draped over her. She reached for his other arm.

"Not a chance. That arm won't touch you while you're pregnant." He whispered "no weapons at all will be near you."

Emily looked up at him with a concerned look. Did he think he was too dangerous for his niece or nephew?