Chapter 8

The dragon just stares at us. My mom starts to approach the dragon. It nods at her as if to allow her to come forward. At the last moment, the dragon opens his mouth and a raging inferno is loosed. All of a sudden, I feel something boiling inside me.
"No!" I shout as I raise my hands trying to protect my mom. To my surprise, the fire splits and moves harmlessly around my mom, Stone, and me.
"Good, exactly what I expected, Phoenix," says the dragon.
"What? So now elves are real, dragons aren't myths, what's next. Are you going to tell me the tooth fairy exists? Now I'm supposed to believe that not only are dragons real, they can talk?" I shout.
"Phoenix, calm down. This is Solferin, he did exactly as I asked. Even if you hadn't manipulated the fire, I would be fine. Fireproof armor," my mom says.
"Oh my. What next? Where's that ethonilite thing?" I ask.
"I have it," says Stone.
"Let me have it," says mom.
He hands it over and she walks behind Solferin and puts it on a rock that's poking out of the cave floor. Nothing happens.
"Solferin, if you will."
I feel some sort of energy building in Solferin. Seconds later, he rears and looses the same red inferno I somehow controlled. The stone begins to glow like a miniature sun. Then, small cracks form on the surface of the rock. Out of these cracks, a golden orange light shines through. Solferin stops breathing fire on it. My mom draws her silver sword and brings it down on the stone. It splits in half and a loud crack is heard. At once, beautiful red rays emerge from the cracked stone and arc up and around filling the cave with dancing light and shadows. Some rays move through the cave ceiling as if it weren't there. Some shoot out the way we came in. Others still embody themselves within me, Stone, and my mom. Once done, the stone levitates and disappears from existence. Solferin then motions for us to get on his back. Hesitantly, I do. So does Stone and my mom. Immediately, Solferin runs through the great doors and out if the cave just before the entire thing collapses. Outside, I notice that is now morning. My mom leaps from Solferin's back and lands like a cat. I follow her and thank Solferin for his help. Stone jumps off as well and waves goodbye to Solferin.
"Where do you think I'm going, human? I'm coming with you and your brother. Your brother needs someone to teach him how to use his new ability, and I must watch you for when your element appears."
"Oh. I'm kind of excited."
"Phoenix, I'm coming with you two to the castle to teach all of the army to manipulate the elements."
"Ok. It's settled. We return to the castle today."
"Solferin, you are to fly above the clouds to prevent from startling anyone. Phoenix's reaction was extremely minimal. If the king sees you, he'll have archers and spear men brought out and you'll be as good as a tin can," my mom says.
"As you will."
He takes off and in a matter of moments he's above the clouds and out of sight. We continue towards the castle and arrive just before the horn. Jett is about to start when my mom taps him and interrupts.
"What? You dare inter-", he stops. "General Ruby, do forgive me. I was not made aware of your coming."
"Nor was anyone. Now, if you don't mind, I have something I would like to say."
"Of course, go ahead."
"Hello everyone. I am General Ruby and I will be instructing you in a new way. After combat training, you will come to me and I will further explain then. Thank you."
Jett gets back on the stand. "Thank you, General Ruby. I will now continue. Yesterday, you were placed in your class levels. Today, you will train in these levels. Once done, follow General Ruby's orders. Are we clear?"
"Yes sir!"
I head off to the same place I fought the man yesterday. Kai eventually joins me along with Stone.
"Who was that woman Phoenix?" Kai asks.
"My mom," Stone and I say in unison.
"Your mom is really cool. Her armor is so awesome."
"Yea, I just wander what today will hold.