ch. 18 ♪ longingly idiotic.

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: longingly idiotic

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:
longingly idiotic.

About two months after they arrived, it was the last day of filming for Pieck and Porco, and we'd wrapped up our music and finished our album. Small gatherings outside of the studios were common for us.

I'd gotten closer to Pieck, and found a way to deal with Porco's personality.

But being with Armin physically hurt.

It was as if I was that Greek legend, Tantalus.

Tantalus has done something to offend the gods, and was banished to the underworld, where he was punished to be hungry and thirsty forever. He was made to stand in a small pool of water underneath a fruit tree.

Every time he reached for a fruit, it would recede so that he couldn't pluck one off.

Every time he wanted to drink, and bent down for a sip of water, the pool of water would disappear.

I never understood it until now - wanting something and having it just out of your reach.

Armin was right there. Right there, in the door next to mine.

And yet, I couldn't tell him that I still loved him.

When I tried to talk to him, he would stutter and drive the subject away so much that it was almost impossible to talk.

He always seemed to find an excuse.

I missed how comfortable we were with each other before.

I was bitter that I hadn't worked up the courage to make it official all those years ago.

I hated how Annie didn't respond to his messages or call him.

I just wanted to fix things with me and Armin. I wanted closure.

"Stohess, hm?" Pieck asked, pulling me out of my sulking. "Your managers wanted to meet in Stohess?"

"Yeah," I said, still a bit out of it, passing a packet of crackers to Jean, who took one out and handed it off to Eren.