1 - The start of a new year

Sirius Black was a dream to some and an asshole to others.

To you, he was an asshole.

For some reason, during all your time at Hogwarts, you never got along with Sirius Black. Perhaps it was the way he walked around like he owned the place. Or maybe the way girls flung themselves at him which only made his ego grow. Or the way he continued to bully Severus Snape and a few other Slytherins. It may even be the way in which he wouldn't stop styling his hair throughout lessons. 

He was in a group called The Marauders which consisted of himself, James Potter, Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew. You got along well with Remus best, he and you would often have study sessions with your best friend Lily in the library. He was the most sensible out of the lot but that didn't mean he wasn't a rule breaker like his friends.

Your group of friends wasn't exactly large either. Your best friend was Lily Evans, the two of you had met at the sorting ceremony five years ago when you were both sorted into Gryffindor along with your other friends Mary MacDonald and Marlene McKinnon who you shared a dormitory with. You and the girls hung onto one another like glue but weren't afraid to speak your minds when it came to it. 

For example, the girls would always tell Lily how much they didn't like Snape. Occasionally, you would join the conversation about it but you tended to keep out of the Snape conversations. It was rumoured that he wanted to be a Death Eater which if true, was something you'd never support but nothing was proven besides, Snape had never given you a reason to hate him directly.

You were a half-blood, the (y/l/n) family was made up of Muggle-borns and Half-bloods, never any Purebloods even stepped foot into your family tree. You lived with your Half-blood Dad and your Dad only, your mother had been killed in an accident at The Ministry. The accident broke your father but when he noticed you beginning to decline at school from the events he stepped back up and helped you both grieve. That was only one year ago to this date and now, the two of you were closer than ever.

You were currently sitting in The Great Hall on your first day back of fifth year. Lily was sitting beside you whereas Marlene was sitting on your left. You expected a nice relaxing welcome back but The Marauders decided to ruin that.

"Ello Evans." James Potter took a seat opposite Lily, sending her a bright smile. The rest of The Marauders quickly followed, Sirius taking a seat across from you, Peter taking a seat beside him whilst Remus sat next to James opposite Marlene.

"Potter." She said with little emotion only giving him a glance before turning to talk to you. "(y/n) how was -"

"How've been (y/l/n)?" Sirius leant over the table to smirk at you as he spoke.

"Fine." You replied. "And you?" You spoke in a bitter tone.

"Perfect." His smirk stayed on his face as he leant back.

"As I was saying," Lily glared at Sirius before turning to you. "How are you (y/n)? You know ..." Before she finished her sentence she leant closer and started to whisper to you. "About your Dad? You hardly spoke on the train. Is everything okay still?"

Lily and the girls knew what happened with your Dad. He still worked at the Ministry which didn't make matters any easier. Your Dad wasn't exactly having an easy time there too. With the rumours of Voldemort Muggle-borns were being frowned upon, especially by those who believed in Pureblood supremacy. However your father wouldn't back down to anyone, he would always say his peace when anyone tried to discriminate against or his wife for not having Pure-blood which earned him a fair few enemies in the workplace.

"Yes Lily, he's fine ... thank you." You acknowledged her thoughtfulness before turning back to face the front of the hall.

"What are you talking about?" Peter asked, eyeing both you and Lily up.