06. How to Smell Springtime in Autumn

Okay, I admit it:

Okay, I admit it:

I was scared.

I was completely and utterly scared for my life as I raced back towards my apartment, the distant howl of the werewolves still in the park sending chills through my spine. The strange burst of strength and speed I had gained right before killing Nicholas was dissipating rapidly, and I soon found myself sprinting at my normal speed, still pretty fast for a human...

But not fast enough.

I was entirely convinced I could hear the pounding footsteps of pursuers, but whenever I looked back - which I knew wasn't the smartest idea - there was nobody there.

It's all in your head, Reese. Just run.

If anything, the reassuring voice in my head just urged me to run faster.

I turned onto Dundas Street East. Normally, after I took out a target, I'd take a confusing and long route home, cutting through alleyways, back-tracking, and making sure I'd shake off any tail I might have gained. But this wasn't an ordinary mission anymore.

I was too confident. I shouldn't have run into Riverdale. I should have stayed at the apartment with Opal and Kyle and taken out my frustrations on the punching bag I kept in my room.

I shouldn't have gone out this late on a full moon. I knew the dangers. I thought I could handle them. But because of my cockiness, I'd run into exactly the person I wanted to run into, pretty much goaded him into attempted rape, killed him in the presence of Nicholas Randon, thus exposing myself as a Hunter, then killed Nicholas, when I was well aware his was within mind-shot of other wolves.

Opal was right - well, kind of. Though I had clearly been ready to take on Ryker Marcel, I was most definitely not ready for the ramifications of his death.

The Alpha's been dying to meet you...

I'm nowhere near ready to face off against Elijah Randon. Next to him, I assume, Nicholas will seem like a harmless little puppy.

Of course, it won't just be me against the Alpha.

No, he'll have his Beta there with him, his warriors, the remainders of his family... though I think now, thanks to me, his sister is the only family he has left.

Something tells me she won't be very pleased with me, either.

I tore across the Lower Don River, seeing my apartment building in the distance. I kept it in my sights, though made sure my senses were tuned into what was happening around me. All was quiet, except for the pounding of my shoes against the sidewalk. When I crossed into Regent Park, I adjusted my steps a bit to be more silent so I was practically flying through the streets like a ghost - or a vampire, but much slower than the real deal.

Almost there, Reese. Just hang on.

My lungs were burning. When I had to run distances like this, pacing myself was of the utmost importance to ensure my energy lasted longer. Sprinting for twelve minutes wasn't the smartest thing to do. Right now, my adrenaline and fear kept me going, but I knew the exertion would crash upon me once I reached the temporary safety of my temporary home.