Chapter 2

Natsu POV

(POV is point of view if you don't know shh)

-

When you asked my freshman self what they think life would be like as a senior it would blow past me minds away. 

I was popular back then. Star baseball pitcher in town and even up to the state. I won competitions and had such a great time. I was like in those cheesy high school TV shows the jock that people loved. That was until my accident. 

It was the summer of my sophomore year. I was at nationals with my team. The day turned into kind of a blur but as people described there was someone yelling making me focus somewhere else. 

I remember that baseball nailing me right in the side of the head. I hurt like hell of course but I was half-conscious so my parents didn't think anything. I wasn't bleeding at that moment or dead and high schoolers don't care. They only cared if I could win. 

I continued the game that day...

Fast forward a week later I was having major headaches and apparently would just pass out in the halls. When my dad took me to the doctor's the doctor told me the pain and passing out was being caused by a brain injury. The look in my dads face when he thought I was done for scared me. Turned out it was the part of my brain that controlled my hearing. As the months and days went on my hearing significantly decreased. 

I'm not fully deaf yet but I can only hear loud noises like the nosebleed seats at concerts loud. I have special earbuds to me to hear but it annoys my sister. My life changed that summer. Suddently junior year rolled around and it's like I was that nerdy unpopular guy in the TV shows. 

My family life turned as well. We lost my mom back when I was in 7th grade so that left me my dad and my twin sister. Kasumi. She's my twin sister. While I lost my hearing she became popular. My power was gone so she joined the dance team and started dating popular guys. She was pretty so it was understandable. 

My dad on the other hand. He loved me still of course. I mean I was his son. But the costs of medications. He tried to hard to fix me. Like I was broken. He made me feel broken. At least he let me stay at home and didn't give me up for adoption or something. Because nobody wants a deaf teenager. Plus when I graduate I can move out. 

But, the hardest part was not my hearing is was learning to hear others. I learned to read people's lips. Then I started to purchase sign language books. I studied every day all day for months. I fell behind on school even when learning. American Sign Language wasn't taught in a town here in Colorado. Luckily my English teacher had distant family who was deaf and she was taught ASL when she lived in California. She taught me and here I am today. 

I still have a few friends I guess. My best friend for example. Her name is Naomi Scott. She lives next door so she's basically a childhood friend. She was all I had when I love my hearing. Her parents even helped me out when my family turned their heads. I'm grateful for Naomi more than I could ever repay. She even learned sign for me.