five.

chapter five

CLAY LEANS FORWARD IN his chair

"She totally knows who I am."

"Dream you're literally fine. All she asked was if other people told you that. I think you played it off well."

George is trying to be helpful, but Clay is overthinking every single word of their interaction.

"But she hasn't texted me yet. She said she would. What does that mean?"

"It means shes busy, you muffin."

"I see Dimwit December is in full swing."

"You guys suck," Clay groans. There's a chorus of protests from Bad, and giggles from Karl.

"Hey, I'm the only one trying to seriously help you out here," George remarks.

"Yeah and I'm just jealous this girl gets to know what you look like before I do," Karl practically pouts.

"No but that's different. She doesn't know he's Dream. She just knows Clay."

"I feel like I don't know how to be 'just Clay' anymore," Dream admits. "It's been so long since I've really met anyone who didn't know who I was. I've always been to be myself with the whole persons thing."

"If being Dream is being yourself then just tell her."

"Hell no," Clay winces at Karl's suggestion. "I hardly know her. What if she leaks?"

He ignores the giggles from Karl and George, toying with the idea of muting them as their profile pictures continue to light up.

"Baddd," he whines, "help me out here."

"He's right, you know. He can't just tell random peo—"

Clay's phone dings. They all hear the telltale sound of a text notification coming through, especially since it's so close to the microphone.

"Oooohhh?" Karl drawls.

"Check it check it check it," George chants. Clay can faintly hear the rattle of fists banging against a desk, emphasizing his friend's enthusiasm. He sucks in a breath before flipping his phone over.

 He sucks in a breath before flipping his phone over