ch-5

That night, Gao Yulan couldn’t sleep well over what had happened. Wen Sha framing her and Yin Ze’s teasing made her even more sullen. With more resentment, she finally decided to pack up.

The enemy was too strong; the army was no match. There is only retreat.

She decided to not look for work, and not to look for men. Recently, everything had been very unfavorable for her. She was going back to her father and mother’s home to seek some family warmth.

Gao Yulan’s parents lived in City C. From City A, where the company was, it was about 4 hours by car. Taking the bus was very convenient. Loving their daughter, Father and Mother Gao had let their baby daughter fight her own battles and work in City A. Because it was within range, they could still monitor her.

The next day, Gao Yulan appeared at the doorway with her luggage in hand. Gao’s mom was startled by her sudden return home without notice. It wasn’t even a holiday. There wasn’t a wedding, or even a funeral.

Gao Mama held Gao Yulan and looked her over.

Yep, looking out of old eyes, her wrinkled face recognized her daughter standing outside. Gao Yulan didn’t respond.

Mama Gao hurriedly called Papa Gao at work. The old couple had decided if their daughter’s heart was broken, they’d help her; if she was sad, they couldn’t let her remain sad; if she was angry, they wouldn’t ask until a more suitable time. They also decided to take advantage of their daughter coming back to find a son-in-law.

Love is a good thing. It can heal, cheer people up, be ambitious, and take care of their daughter for half of her life.

The old couple discussed until Mama Gao was at peace. They decided that to welcome their daughter back, they needed to create an atmosphere of good communication. She bought a lot of food to make a delicious dinner.

Roasted pork, spare ribs, stewed chicken soup, mapo tofu, and braised fish—six dishes and a soup spread across the huge table made Gao Yulan jump back in shock.

“Dad, did you win the lottery?”

“Nope, but almost.”

“Almost?”

“Well last week, a halo was around me and I got a good drawing. The prize numbers came out and all I saw, I was not lacking at all.” Papa Gao’s tone was full of pride.