Puppy Love

He padded around the dark space, sniffing the unfamiliar ground. It smelt....weird. His nose started tingling and he gave a loud sneeze, harsh enough that he toppled over.

"He doesn't like it," the little girl announced.

"He's only been in there for a few minutes."

"Maybe he's allergic."

"He's not allergic."

"Maybe—"

"Drop it, Keeley."

"But Dad..."

"He's not sleeping with you in your room," the man said firmly. "He belongs down here in his crate."

"Then can I sleep down here with him?"

"No."

"What if he gets lonely?"

Her voice sounded sad, so he ambled over to comfort her, but was stopped by a wire barrier. He pawed at the poles, trying to get out, but it didn't budge. Dropping to the ground, he gave a mournful whine.

"See? He's lonely!"

"Come on, Keeley. Time for bed." The voice left no room for argument.

Frowning, the little girl reached in between the poles and gave him a tiny scratch. He lifted his head and licked her finger. Leaning in, she whispered, "I'll see you tomorrow morning, Tucker. Be good."

Tucker watched as the family turned out the lights and went upstairs. He tried to fall asleep, but he couldn't. He was used to sleeping with his brothers and sisters. Being all alone with no one to cuddle was scary. He wished the little girl hadn't left. She smelled nice. He wouldn't mind cuddling with her.

Frustrated, he pawed at the door some more, determined to get out. His tiny paw caught on something and he pushed down. Suddenly, the door opened and he was free!

He sniffed around, trying to pick up the scent of the little girl. It was confusing at first, so many scents going this way and that, but finally he managed to find it. He followed it all over the house even going up those tall obstacles called stairs.

And phew! Were those things tough!

After taking a short break, he padded down the hall. Her scent became stronger and his tail started wagging with excitement. She was so close! He ran full steam ahead and plowed right into another door. Falling down, he shook his head and struggled to regain his balance.

"Tucker?" a sleepy voice asked.

It was the girl! He scratched on the door, his little claws making sounds. The door opened and he happily bounded in.

She knelt next to him and scratched behind his ears. "How did you get out of your crate?"

He jumped up and licked her cheek.

"Well, you can sleep with me tonight. We just won't tell Mom and Dad."

She picked him up and put him on the bed. Crawling in after him, she took her pillows and made a barrier around the bed so no one would fall off.

"Night Tucker," she said, giving him a pet and then pulling the covers over them.  

Happy and content, Tucker rested his head on his paws and finally fell asleep.