chapter 9 - pranks

Today was October 30th, and the boy's other plan had worked perfectly. 

They had laid low with their pranking. The boys had gotten very few detentions, saving their biggest prank yet for Halloween. They planned to cover the Slytherins in snake skins, like the little snakes they were. Literally, inside the snake skins. Planned to cover Hufflepuff in glue and feathers because they didn't have a grudge against them, but they still had to be pranked. Next was Ravenclaw, they were going to get blue slime that stuck to everything. Despite their calm appearance, they played damn dirty in quidditch, hence their prank. Now the Gryffindors, they would get some red glitter along with some punch. They also planned to get people to gain a certain characteristic of their patronus.

"Padfoot, have you got everything set up with Wormy yet?" Sirius rolled his eyes, "Yes Prongs stop asking me that. Have you gotten hottie on our side?" James glared at his friend, "Stop calling her that. But no, I haven't talked to her yet" "Prongs are you bloody kidding me! The prank is tomorrow. We have to get her in RIGHT NOW. Go Prongs it's your job, go on be a good little stag." He shoved his friend out of the portrait, landing at the feet of the person he was just sent to find.

"Ah hello Ember, just who I was looking for. Accompany me into the common room?" he asked her holding out his hand. She looked at his hand and scoffed, brushing past him into the common room. He couldn't give up now. He rushed in front of her, "Please just hear me out okay? Me and the boys need your help-" She cut him off, "Oh hell no, last time I helped you I got detention for a month. So no Potter." He reached out for her hand, pulling her her a little too hard into him. She fell into his chest, looking up at him.

He looked down at her sheepishly, his cheeks flushing a deep shade of red. He looked into her amber eyes, and his eyes widened at their close proximity. He admired her for a minute. He took in her slightly pink cheeks, her widened amber eyes, her brunette hair. James then realized he had been looking at her for 2 minutes.

Pushing himself away, he scratched the back of his neck nervously. "So.... anyways I'm still not going to help you Potter. Unless, I get something in return. You let me know what the prank is, so I won't be there when it happens. And I'd like to use your map for any specific needs." James stood before her, shocked. He only wondered how she knew about the map. "How do you know about the map." "I didn't, only heard you guys talking about it for 4 years. But you have just confirmed my suspicions. We have a deal?" "I actually can't decide that on my own, we have to talk to the rest of the boys." he told her. She then gestured for him to move, "Then let's go, I have studying to do."

He pulled her up the stairs,  to the dorm, where the rest of the boys were. He pulled open the door greeting his friends, revealing their guest. "Hello boys i'm here to discuss a proposition with you. I understand you want me in on this giant prank of yours. Here are my terms of agreement," she told them as she paced the room. " You let me know what the prank is, so I won't be there when it happens. And I'd like to use your map for any specific needs. Deal?" The boys were shocked that she had known about the map. They had also figured that if she knew about the map, that she would know about Remus. "How did you find out about the map?" Remus questioned her. "Like I told James earlier, I didn't, only heard you guys talking about it for 4 years. And James just confirmed my suspicions. Can I go now? I have to study for the Potions test tomorrow." The boys all stared at her, glaring at James. James put his hands up in mock surrender, "Hey, don't blame me. It's not my fault she's intuitive."

The boys all exchanged glances, knowing they need her part of the prank for it to succeed. "Fine, we'll only let you use the map for one day." "Deal. Okay so what do you need me to do?"The boys turned to her, showing their mischievous smirks.

* * * *

It was later in the day when Ember had to go do one of her parts for the prank. She was told by the boys to, 'make a cloaking spell so when they look for us, they won't find out right way. And, to make a potion that makes everyone cross eyed for 2 hours. Also your in charge of the teacher table. Good luck hottie.' She had multiple part of this prank so she decided to prank the boys with the help of Marlene, because Lily and Alice didn't want to be involved. Once she had told Marlene about what they wanted her to do, she and Marlene began brainstorming what they would do. 

Marlene suggested, "What about we dump snow on their head, along with some burning leaves that aren't actually harmful just hot?" "Damn Marlene thats a good idea. Okay you want to get the spellbooks while I work on countering whatever else the marauder wanted to do?"She nodded, walking out of the room of requirement. She decided to go get answers out of James.

"Hi James, do you think I could help with anymore of the prank?" James stared at her shocked, "Um I guess, okay so we are planning to..." As he continued, she took a mental note of whatever he and the rest of the marauders were going to do. Once he had finished, she jumped off the couch, yelling to him, "Thanks Potter!" 

When she returned to the room of requirement, she saw Marlene sitting in one of the chairs flipping through spellbooks. "Hey Mar, I got everything. Have you found anything yet?" "Okay good. Some parts, but not all. Anyways, I trust you've already figured out how to counter all of their plans?" "You know it Mar, but I think we're going to have to pull an all nighter. Want me to go down to the kitchens to grab some stuff?" "Yes please, bring me that iced coffee recipe that Goddess has." Ember nodded, walking out of the room. 

When she crossed one of the corridors, she saw the marauders sneaking under James's invisibility cloak. "Ah bloody hell," she spoke under her breath. She peeked around the corner to find them heading towards the kitchens. "Aw fuck" she stomped her foot, annoyed at the situation at hand. 

She continued to tiptoe behind them, hearing their small discussions. 'Why are we all going to the kitchens? Why can't we just send Moony and Wormy?" she heard Sirius whine. She heard James speak up, 'Because Padfoot, I saw Ember walking around here earlier.' She mentally cursed. She knew once they lent her the map, she would need to erase her name from the map. She continued walking until she reached the kitchens, knowing the merry band of mischief boys awaited inside. 

She tickled the pear, walking in. She saw James talking to a house elf, treating it with the utmost respect. She stared at him, admiring his respect for the house elves. His friends were nowhere in sight. She figured they were either behind her or around the corner. James walked around the corner as well, not noticing Ember.

She sighed, waiting for her favorite house elf to invite her over. When she decided to just walk around the corner, she saw the marauder's eyes lift to meet hers. "Hiya there boys. What are you all doing up at such a late hour?" She questioned them. They looked at each other before Peter responded, "just out to get some snacks." Sirius smirked at the girl, "and what are you doing up Miss Ember." Ember out on a similar smirk, "Just grabbing some snacks."

After grabbing a basket full of biscuits, coffee, apples, muffins, chocolate, ham sandwiches, she sat down with the boys for a little while. "So boys, do you have your parts done for the prank yet?" "Of course we do love. Do you have your parts done?" "Yep. By the way you guys are being extremely paranoid lately. I know Remus is a werewolf, and that you guys are animagus's. I literally dropped hints sooo many times on both situations. You guys are also extremely terrible at hiding it. Anyways gotta head back, I'll see you at the feast tomorrow." With that said, she left all four boys with their jaws dropped.