Chapter Twenty Four: Shut Up! You're All Gonna Die. Street Smarts!

If I can't come up with one, I'm titling my chapters as John Mulany quotes until further notice. Thank you :)

>~~~~~~~~<

As the nights passed, the waning moon phased into the dark phase. Vague strips were indented into the countryside road by centuries of traffic, making the dirt path uneven, and unreliable to walk upon in the dark. But, it seemed a lone girl paid no mind.

With a steady pace and breath, Echo's feet landed softly, creating the barest of sound that would make a passerby dismiss it as their own imagination. Her eyes were set in front of her, though focused on nothing entirely. Just as her mind wasn't conscious about the dangers of running alone at night; concentrated on blocking her thoughts. Echo's shoulders were heavy with the weight of the gods' stares. She could feel their whispers of judgment whenever an icy chill would run down her spine; the subtle drop of a stone in her stomach every time her name rolled off their tongues.

Echo woke with sandy-like eyes, feeling the three symptoms of being the gods' next topic of discussion. Her attempt would be futile, but she did not wish for Moony or Padfoot to be within the gods' view. Still, she left. She didn't have a set destination in mind, perhaps, stumbling upon a spot to watch the sun rise over the horizon.

Echo was a . . . controversial subject, amongst the twelve gods of Mount Olympus. The power she possessed, was uncharacteristically not written in the stars. It caused quite an uproar, when Athena was unable to translate any stars regarding Echo's potential. With a trained eye, you could translate the billions of white specs; read the fates, the stories of old and far, and even bare witness to the creation of new creations; infinite knowledge at your disposal. The gods would hardly admit it, but as much of an enigma Echo was to the mortals, she was just as, to the ones who bled Ichor — well, all but one: the goddess who created her.

The goddess, who hid the truth of Echo's range of minacious power with the centaurs; removing the information from the constellations. The other Divinities would learn of her potential soon enough; the few years needed of Echo's life to fulfill the prophecy, were barely an inconvenience to a god. But when the day does come, when Echo reveals her abilities, it will be the day the gods will want to remove her; strip her of all divine sources — out of fear. The gods will grow to understand, that even the divine, could have a demon lurking in their shadows.

Ironic, isn't it? A creation, soon to be feared by her very own makers.

"Where have you been?" It was Remus, standing firm, arms crossed. His underlying worry was masked by the hardened tone. Echo's never seen him so stiff.

"Did you find her?" Sirius's voice carried throughout the cottage.

Echo gazed at Remus, thoughts of confusion hidden behind her eyes, searching Remus's own. Although they weren't completely guarded, he's definitely picked up a few things from Echo.

But, fuck. The death stare was terrifying.

There was no further, verbal communication before Sirius stepped into the room, standing next to Remus. He, too, didn't look happy. Nothing like his usual, expressive self.

"Where have you been?" Remus repeated, voice as firm as his stance.

"A run. On the back roads," Echo answered, neutral. Sweat glistened on her exposed skin, giving evidence her statement was true. Once the sun lifted over the horizon, so did the weight on her shoulders. It was her own given permission to return.

"The back roads," he echoed, a light scoff.

"And when were you going to tell us?" Black interjected.