One - A Warm Welcome

I sat opposite Lily in the carriage. It was comforting to know I would have my own friend at my new residence.

In my parents will, they had a written agreement that in the case of their death, if I were not already married, I would be taken care of. This agreement was made with the late Viscount Bridgerton. Our families were close and the viscount regarded my parents highly, the only problem - the viscount died several years ago.

After receiving the news, a friend of my fathers, I have known my entire life called on the house in order to settle affairs. One being the agreement between Viscount Bridgerton and my father.

Lady Bridgerton soon revealed she knew of the agreement and was more than pleased to let me reside with them for as long as I needed. Also allowing me to bring one of my own lady maids to feel more comfortable.

And that was where I was headed...

-

'Are you nervous Miss Newton?' Lily asked as we were but a short distance from the Bridgerton estate.

I raised my line of sight to look at her. Her sleek black hair was pinned back to uncover her deep blue eyes. I had always been jealous of her blue eyes, they held so much more life than my dull brown ones. 'Please Lily, I have told you, you can call me Lizzie when we are alone. There is no need for formalities when it is just us. But to answer your question, a little. I have known the Bridgertons since I was a small girl, they were always kind to me. I just hope I will not be a hindrance to them.' I spoke softly, nerves laced my words.

'Do not worry of such things. The Bridgertons are a kind family, and they certainly wouldn't have agreed to support you if they believed you to be a hindrance.'

Lily's words were encouraging. I had met the Bridgertons on several occasions and could not recall a single time when they were not kind or welcoming.

'At least I have you.' I beamed at her.

'Always.'

-

We soon arrived at the estate and I looked out the carriage window. The estate was gorgeous, accompanied by a small vibrant garden at the front and a path with a few shallow steps leading to the front door. This would be my new home, I thought to myself as the footman opened the carriage door.

Lily stepped out first and I followed after her. The crisp London air was refreshing as I stood still, appreciating the houses beauty.

'I shall bring your bags to the door for you Miss Newton.' My footman informed, closing the carriage door and walking to the back of the structure to get my belongings for me.

'Thank you Harold,' I never saw my servants as 'the help', they were like family to me, I had known them since I was a girl. And now they were all the family I had left.

'We should head inside,' Lily pulled me from my thoughts.

'Yes.'

Walking up the steps in front of Lily, I eventually approached the door, giving it a light tap with the knocker. The door opened and to my relief stood Eloise Bridgerton. Eloise was only a few years my junior but she was easily one of the most intelligent girls I had ever met. My love for reading was nothing compared to hers. She constantly had her head deep in a book. It was one of the qualities I liked the most about her. She didn't care about being the perfect lady, she cared about bettering her mind. I admired that about her.

'Elizabeth.' Eloise cheered throwing her arms around me.

'Eloise, I am so happy to see you. You are still reading I hope?' I questioned, knowing I had a lot to catch up on.

'Everyday.' She spoke in an almost obvious tone.

I was pleased to discover she was still the same Eloise.

Not long after seeing Eloise did Mrs Bridgerton arrive at the foyer, enveloping me in a hug. Pulling away from the embrace she told her maid to fetch the others.

'Oh Elizabeth, I'm so pleased you're here. I'm regret to hear about your parents, they were wonderful people.'

I could feel tears well in my eyes. I didn't want to cry in front of anyone, but whenever anyone mentioned my parents, I had no control over my tears.

Eloise tugged at my hand, entwining our fingers. Her gesture spoke a thousand words.

'Miss Newton, it's a pleasure to see you.' A young gentleman smiled, descending the extravagant staircase. He was followed by another young gentleman, both were dressed in formal attire. They looked pristine.

I was their equal in class yet I felt a pang of insecurity. I couldn't understand why.

'Do not tell me you have forgotten your favourite Bridgerton,' Colin asked in mock disbelief as both he and his brother Benedict bowed in front of me. I politely curtsied.

'I wouldn't dream of it sir.' I smiled as I rose.

'It is so good to see you Miss Newton.' I heard from afar. Looking around I noticed Daphne and her younger siblings approaching. She curtsied when she got closer and I mirrored her.

'Daphne, you look radiant,' I complimented, 'You put me to shame.'

'Nonsense. You are a natural beauty.' I smiled at her sincerity. Daphne was easily the most beautiful girl in London. She was able to capture the attention of any room. Confidence radiated off her in waves, I was envious.

As warm a welcome this was, I noticed that there was one person not here. Anthony.

As soon as the thought arrived, it left when the door swung open.

'Is Miss Newton here yet? I hope I am not late.' The new Viscount questioned loudly as he opened the door. His face paled as he noticed my presence.

'Miss Newton, I apologise for my lack of manners. I had business in town. It's a pleasure to see you again.' He bowed.

I curtsied, 'Not to worry your Lord,' I smiled at him warmly, 'Thank you for being so generous in letting me stay here.' I spoke with sincerity, I couldn't put into words how grateful I was. I just hoped they knew that.

'Of course, I wouldn't have it any other way.' He looked at me for a moment, holding my gaze. His dark brown eyes gave nothing away however, and I soon looked to the floor as if it was the most interesting thing in the room. I could feel the heat in my cheeks, I only hoped they did not look crimson red.

'Now that greetings are complete, I must show you your room.'

'Certainly.' Mrs Bridgerton agreed.

I smiled at the family, soon following after Eloise as she raced up the stairs.

'Could you please bring Miss Newtons bags up to her room, and make sure to ask if she needs anything.' I heard Anthony ask, pausing as the male servant at their door began to pick up my belongings. 'Thank you.'

(A/N): This is Chapter One, I hope you all enjoyed it. Thank you for reading! If you have any feedback let me know in the comments.