thirteen - nothing but us

By the time Harry stirred again, it was nearing dusk. He opened his eyes slowly, his gaze first landing on the open window, which clearly displayed the dusty purple and gray clouds that painted the sky as the sun set for the night. Then, as he fully regained his consciousness, he became aware of gentle hands carding through his hair. He lifted his head from Louis's chest only to find the older boy staring down at him, a tiny smile tugging at the corners of his thin lips.

"Hi," he said, his voice rumbling deep in his chest, sending vibrations scurrying across Harry's cheek. "Sleep okay, sweetheart?"

Harry nodded, exhaling deeply. "I feel like I could sleep for another year, though," he admitted.

Louis laughed, the hand holding Harry's waist pressing down playfully. "Me too, and all I did for the past three days was sit around and wait for your heat to be over."

With a quiet snort of amusement, Harry scooted up Louis's body, burying his face in the older boy's neck. Louis traced soothing shapes on his back, assuming that Harry wanted to go back to sleep; instead, the younger boy sniffed loudly, then sat up fully and raised his eyebrows at Louis. "You smell different," he commented casually. "Actually, no. You smell the same, but . . . more. More like you than you did before." He scrunched his nose at his own words, shooting Louis a confused look. "Did that make any sense?"

Louis laughed again, covering his face with one hand while the other rested on Harry's thigh. "All of your senses are heightened after you present," he reminded the younger boy. "Right after I presented, I wanted to be around you all the time because your smell was . . . intoxicating, somehow. Is that weird?"

"Definitely," Harry giggled, although he laid back down and nuzzled into Louis's chest, content with the alpha's explanation. After a moment, he hummed thoughtfully, asking, "So you've been sniffing me for the past year and I didn't even know it?"

Louis snorted out another laugh. "You caught me. That's quite embarrassing."

"It's okay. I don't mind at all." Harry propped his chin up on Louis's chest, pushing his lips out to silently ask for a kiss. Louis smiled fondly, leaning down to capture Harry's lips with his own for a sweet, innocent kiss.

The door slammed suddenly downstairs, and Harry flinched against Louis's chest, ruining the moment completely. Louis's grip on his boyfriend tightened protectively, and they both stayed still and silent, their lips just inches apart as they listened closely to the heavy footsteps that now flooded through the house.

"My father," Harry said quietly, more disappointed than he was worried. He reluctantly untangled his body from Louis's, climbing out of bed. "I'll be right back."

Louis frowned, starting to follow. "I'm coming with you."

"No, you're not," Harry replied firmly, shoving Louis lightly back onto the bed.

"What if he --"

"Even if he does, there's nothing you can do about it," Harry responded simply. "I will not have you picking a fight with my father in his own house."

Despite his concern, Louis complied, sinking back against the pillows. He watched the younger boy closely as he took a deep breath, shaking out his shoulders as if preparing for a fight. Then Harry walked quickly from the room without looking back.

He hurried down the stairs, eager to speak to his father as briefly as possible and return to Louis. More than anything, he was curious what his father would have to say about his status now that he had presented. Luckily, he didn't end up waiting long for his father's reaction.

As soon as Harry entered the room, with an obnoxious sniff and a raise of his eyebrows, his father stated bluntly, "You presented."

Harry just nodded, wrapping his arms protectively around his stomach, keeping his eyes trained on the floor.