8: The legend of the beast

"The legend of the beast goes back a looong time, before any of us could even pick up a baseball." Squints said, starting the story of the beast.

The legend of the beast was long, over dramatic and sounded suuuuper fake.

"No way! You guys are just making that up to scare us!" Smalls said.

"For the record, that sounds very unbelievable." I said.

Squints then told smalls a load more of unbelievable junk, and eventually smalls gave in, so I decided to just go with it.

We fooled around for a while, telling scary stories, and having a pillow fight 'to the death', before we finally fell asleep.

I lay awake in my sleeping bag, thinking about if I liked yeah yeah, or not.

I finally fell asleep at about two in the morning.

The next morning, Benny sent squints and yeah yeah to get a new ball, sending me to make sure they stayed on track.

Once we finally got out of Vincent's, the boys having spent forever deciding whether to piss off benny and just get baseball cards or whether to get an actual ball, we walked out of the drug store, the two idiots fighting over who got to hold the ball, when squints let go, focused on something else.

Wendy Peffercorn.

She was the lifeguard at the pool, and Benny said squints really liked her.

"Whatcha starin' at?" I asked squints, knowing fully well what he was staring at.

He simply pointed forward and said "Wendy Peffercorn." As if he was some ape that could barely speak.

Boys.

She walked by us, smiling at squints, clearly teasing him.

She crossed the street, and squints eyes were glued to her butt.

God, what a perv. I thought to myself.

Surprisingly yeah yeah wasn't affected by her at all, he barely even looked at her and rolled his eyes.

"Come on, let's go." I said to squints.

"Stop pervin' on the life guard, and LETS GO!" I yelled.

"Benny's WAITING! Let's go!" I said in squints' face, loudly, grabbing squints' shirt and pulling him in the direction of the sandlot.