19. Knife Scars and Burn-Scarred

"Sekimori!" one of the Polar Star first years called out, barging into his hotel room. "Hey, Sekimori! We're going to be late, what one earth are you still--"

His voice died out halfway.

Sekimori was crouched over his knife case, its contents scattered about and-- shattered. There was broken glass spilled over the ground, and the boy was clutching his hand in silence.

"Someone sabotaged my knife case," he said, his voice strangely calm. "Probably when I left it out after morning service. My mistake."

His arm was covered in blood, the hand held out strangely still.

"I-" the senior backed away, his face pale as a sheet. 

There was blood all over the hotel's carpet flooring, and Sekimori's hand was doing much to staunch the blood from whatever injury he was trying to hide. 

"Shit. Don't move, I'm getting a medic!"

Sekimori appreciated it, but they're both late for the lunch service, so he can't help but feel guilty about it.

He grabbed his tea towel, knowing it's the most absorbent fabric he has nearby, and kept putting pressure on the wound.

(There was nothing he could do now.)

-

"What do you mean, Sekimori-senpai got expelled?!"

Eda was honestly heartbroken.

The high school first years finally came back after their week at training camp, and their atmosphere was very akin to a line of soldiers marching back from war.

They're exhausted, upset, and only able to force a smile because of the enthusiasm of their juniors and seniors in greeting them home. They were down to three people, so when it registers, the air becomes dreadful really quickly.

Let's just say the dorm was absolutely miserable.

"Yeah, he got injured. He didn't tell us what happened, but it's gotta be those punks from the Japanese Cuisine Research Society!"

From what the seniors were saying, Sekimori's hand was badly cut up-- shreds of broken glass and stray metal got into the wound. It wouldn't leave lasting effects-- scars at most, but he was forced to stay off that hand for a good few weeks.

Eda fidgeted at that, kneading the burn scar on his hand. He knew very well what hand injuries did to chefs-- especially knife experts like Sekimori.

Which also meant that the senior's chances to get through camp went right down the gutter.

"You mean they're getting back at him for winning last time?" Shinomiya snapped, "those petty bastards!"

"This is war, dammit!" The seniors were equally frustrated.

Sabotage obviously isn't allowed, but in a dog-eat-dog environment like Tootsuki, there were two rules-- all is fair if you don't get caught, and all is fair in the name of the Shokugeki.

"They made it back, didn't they? After all that shit they pulled-- let's go and teach them a lesson!" someone else suggested, "we can bet Sekimori's return on this one since we've got Shiomi-senpai on our side."

"Don't, you idiot. We'll get expelled for misconduct."

"Plus, hiding behind Shiomi-senpai's skills is a shitty thing to do, too."