11

**********************

Still think you're a hard one, baby?

We'll see when the missile rains

**********************

HARRY

I think I made a deal with the devil last night.

At least that's what it felt like looking at Bentley sitting on my lap with a gun to my chin, dangling the fact that she knew Luna was holding Emmy over me and convincing me to join her in taking down Luna.

Say yes and you'll be free. Sort of. That's what Bentley told me last night, and honestly, I'd rather work with someone than for someone.

This doesn't change the fact that I still fucking hate Bentley Hale. I knew my files from the home were public record but I have no idea how they uncovered Emmy's identity... The bigger issue was protecting Emmy, and that was something Bentley could offer.

I had heard of Niall Horan before, the Irish street racer. He was good as fuck from what I'd heard, and the only way I could think she'd know him is through Rumer and Zayn. Zayn had a pretty thick accent, but it was mellowed out with the California of it all, especially considering he grew up here. We had spoken about where his family was from back in the UK and to no surprise his mum and dad are from Bradford. They had moved to Oakland during Zayn's childhood and moved back to England a few years ago. The Euro connection was probably how they knew Niall, but Niall had to have ridiculous connections with people everywhere. Having him help in making sure Emma Leigh would be okay was an opportunity I couldn't quite pass up.

Plus, I was the official newest member of the Luna Sade hate club and got every single one of Bentley's mates off my back.

I only had to worry about Luna now. Well, and Victor, but he was still out of town.

I'd take care of How angry I still was at Bentley on the streets tonight, we had a race.

I finally managed to unpack my boxes yesterday after I left Bentley's, and this morning I bought a new leg for my sofa seeing as there was a bullet embedded in the old one. Everything had slowly fallen into place, and I even got a spare key made after I forced Bentley to give me mine back yesterday.

After I agreed to join their plan, she put the guns away and smirked at me for the remainder of dinner. Rumer made small talk about what the international racing scene was like and Zayn kept blabbering on about Bentley investing in bunk beds for her and Rumer, because it looked like they were here to stay until further notice.

Rumer and Zayn worked really well together too, they talked more than anyone else at the table. I was aching for a drink after the ridiculous amount of stress I was under, but when I asked Bentley, she said she had a single bottle of beer and that I 'didn't deserve it'. I sat back and let Rumer and Zayn go back and forth, their chatter the perfect background noise to actually get a good look at Bentley.

Her hair was in a low bun, pieces of hair framing her face, the more I looked at her the more freckles would pop up and disappear. She had simple makeup on her eyes and a smooth balm on her plump lips... she was hypnotic.

There's something about the way she carries herself that almost scared me into submission. This was a foreign feeling, a pit at the bottom of my stomach whenever she locked eyes with me, and we had spent the whole final part of dinner doing exactly that.

I couldn't keep my gaze away from her. She'd scratch her neck and I'd think of my hands around it, and she'd bite down on her lip when she was focused on whatever little life lesson Rumer would throw into a conversation. I noticed her looking at me too, gaze focused on my features as I finished the bag of sour candy I had brought.