Chapter 1

Life is unpredictable. Something so impossible can happen in a second and turn your life for the better or for the worse. For example, some dude might have just won the lottery right this second (what a lucky son of a bitch) or perhaps someone in the world just died and in that same moment, someone else might have been born. With so many factors, no one can predict the future except for Professor Trelawny, of course.

Nice Harry Potter reference, November. I can be so clever sometimes.

I suppose what I'm trying to say through all this rambling is that we don't know what might happen in the next second or day or year. But then again, I really wasn't thinking any of this when I burned my left eyebrow off. I was thinking something along the lines of, 'Hey, why isn't this propane grill turning on?' when a fiery blast from the depths of hell erupted in my face and singed my eyebrow clean off.

And I mean like, completely off. Right down to my sad little eyebrow roots. When I got over the initial shock of having Satan's fart blast my face, I raised a hand and touched the area where my sad little eyebrow should have been and my sad little eyebrow was not where it was. 

"Oh, no. My eyebrow." I frowned. 

Then what had just happened finally assembled itself in a way that I could understand the full consequence of what just happened and I freaked. Turning the grill off, I ran inside the house with my fingers clamped over my sad little missing eyebrow and went to the bathroom mirror.

Okay, let's think this through in a rational way, November. Your left eyebrow is gone and you look like something from a horror movie. No problem. It's totally fine.

"Oh my God, Fern!" I shrieked my sister's name and ran out of the bathroom, nearly tripping over the threshold. Seventeen years in this house and I still wasn't used to the thresholds, dammit. I searched for my older sister in a panic and found her propped up on the couch surrounded by pillows, a box of Golden Puffs cereal on the table in all of her almost nine month pregnant glory. I was supposed to be cooking dinner because Fern was a hormonal mess.

"November, what?" Fern grumbled. "It was just getting to the good part." She was watching Adventure Time on the television. "Why are you holding your face?"

I removed my hand. "My eyebrow is gone."

She took one look at me and burst into squeals of laughter. I stood in the living room doorway, still depressed over losing my eyebrow. I didn't even have good eyebrows to begin with, but at least they were there. Fern's swelled stomach moved in rhythm with her shaking shoulders. I waited until she stopped laughing.

"Fern, this isn't funny."

"You look ridiculous, November." She grabbed her phone. "Hold on, I have to take a picture." Fern began laughing again.

"What am I supposed to do?" I cried. "Do you have makeup or something? I can't just go out like this. I have school tomorrow, Fern. How long does it even take an eyebrow to grow back? Probably months! Jesus Christ, stop laughing. This is a serious situation." I rubbed the skin where my eyebrow should have been.

When Fern stopped laughing, she managed to answer, "On my dresser, there's some of that eyebrow filling. It's a bit darker than your other eyebrow- oh God, you look so stupid-" She held back her laughter when I glared at her "-but it'll be fine until your eyebrow grows back. I can't believe- November, how did this even happen?"

"Your stupid grill is missing the switch to-"

"You know what else is missing?" Fern interrupted with a chuckle.

"My eyebrow, I know." I rolled my eyes.

"Your eyebrow!" Fern answered, laughing again.

"Ugh." I sighed, still not over the fact that I just lost an entire eyebrow in less than five seconds. I walked back upstairs and into Fern's room to get the makeup. Angrily drawing my eyebrow back in, I stared at myself in the mirror.