|50|

When I step into my apartment, my parents are both inside like I expected. My mother is folding the throw blanket and fixing the pillows and my father sits in the arm chair with his leg crossed and his forehead resting against his knuckles, his elbow supporting him against the arm of the chair.

"I didn't expect you guys." I state, getting their attention as I close my door behind me, slipping my shoes off. My mother sets the blanket over the back and smooths her hand over the fluffy material.

"Well seeing as you never keep in touch with us. . ." My mother trails off. My fathers tired eyes flicker up to meet mine, the dark circles prominent under his eyes.

  "Genevieve." He sighs, my mother scolding him. I furrow my eyebrows as I glance between the two of them, confused as to why they seem exceptionally unhappy to be around each other. Normally they just ignore each other completely but now they're bickering.

  "It's the truth, Jonathan." She quips. "You'd think after we pay for her college and apartment we'd get a little recognition." She mutters, fixing her hair as she strides towards me, pulling my hair over my shoulder which I immediately flip back to where it was. Her gasp causes me to roll my eyes, her hands gripping my shoulders as she leans forward and sniffs my hair. "You smell like cigarette smoke, Clover Jane!" She snaps with wide eyes.

  "I walked through some guys smoke in the parking garage, stop touching me." I mutter, shrugging her touch off as move to set my bag down beside my couch. My mother watches me as I sit down, sighing out into the silence of my apartment, the air thick with tension.

  "So where is he?" She asks, my eyebrows furrowing at her words. She stands with her hand on her hip, her eyes widened. "Hm?"

  "Who?" I ask, shaking my head out of annoyance. She rolls her eyes dramatically and crosses her arms over her chest, narrowing her eyes down to me.

  "That boy Coraline mentioned, the junky you've been hiding from us." She clarifies. My lips part with surprise, glancing over at my father who sighs heavily, glaring at my mother. "We don't pay for this apartment and all of your schooling for you to whore around!" She barks.

  "Excuse me?" I snap, my eyes wide as I stare up at her, my heart beginning to speed up in my chest as I look between my mother and my father. "This is what you came here for? To call me a slut?" I question bitterly.

  "So it's true, you've been sleeping around and getting behind on your classes. Just as Coraline had said." She speaks. "You should have been nicer to that girl, she was so good to you, such a good influence." She shakes her head with disappointment. "I expect much more from you." She hisses.

  "I haven't been sleeping around, you sound fucking delusional." I laugh, my hand gripping the arm of the couch as I shake my head. My mother gasps at my language, stomping her foot as she glares at me.

  "You watch your tone with me, young lady. Are you forgetting who the adult is here?" She snaps, my jaw clenching harshly as I shake my head. "That's what I thought." She finishes.

  "I can't believe you would drive over two hours to come here and accuse me of bullshit lies Cora made up because she's jealous of me." I laugh dryly, my mother scoffing.

  "Get your head out of your ass, Clover. She's not jealous, she's looking out for you. You're letting some piece of shit boy ruin your already slim chances at a career." She bites, my heart sinking in my chest at her words.

  "You know nothing about me or him!" I bark, sitting up from my slouched position on the couch, staring up harshly at my mother. She squints down at me before nodding, looking to my father.