Chapter 1

You had just turned 20, you were finally grown up. Most of the time you were in your room, playing the violin, singing and writing your novels. You had always been withdrawn, preferring your own company rather than of others. Your aunt and uncle who you lived with did not understand why you did this. They instead insisted at every occasion to take you out to dinners and parties. At these, you tried your best to socialise but always seemed to be out of place.

At one of these parties, you met one of your neighbours who lived 8 or 9 miles away from your estate. Colonel Brandon, who had just returned from military service. He was tall and handsome, with sandy hair and a quiet deminer.

Your father first introduced you. He bowed and kissed your hand and you bowed your head.

"It is nice to meet you colonel," you said

"And you too Miss (y/n)" he said.

"I heard you have just returned from the west indies" you said.

He nodded "I found it tiring and yearned for home" he said.

"I have heard it's very beautiful," you said.

"It is" he mused, taking a sip of wine. "I was stationed in Belize and got to visit many of its ruins"

"The Mayan's was it?" you asked.

"You are indeed right" he said.

You both went quiet, listing to the classical music being played.

You studied his face for a second. It was serious and yet charming. He didn't seem the one to laugh or cry, instead, he had an air of gentleness and reservedness. He smiled faintly at you as he noticed you looking and you loomed away.

"Do you like music?" you asked suddenly.

"Yes I do" he said "I don't play myself however I enjoy listening to it"

"I play the violin and I also sing" you answered.

"Fascinating" he said with interest in his voice. "What do you like playing?" he asked.

"I love Handel and Mozart" you replied. "Their solo pieces are very enjoyable to play but tricky"

As you said that your uncle came over and declared that you were leaving as your aunt had a stomach upset. You nodded and smiled at the colonel.

"It has been nice to meet you" you said.

"And you too" he said. "I hope to see you again"

"I hope to see you again too Colonel" you answered and waved at him as you left.