Chapter 12: The Trial, Part 1

I hated being without Spencer. It wasn't my first time, but I still hated it. It almost hurt more because the kids were used to it.

The days were as normal as ever. I dropped the kids off, went to Quantico, lectured, stopped by Garcia's office for a hug and an update, picked the kids up, and went home. Normally, Spencer and I would call before bed, either to masturbate together or just to talk, but I was going to bed earlier and the case was keeping him out late, so we couldn't.

When I finally got the message that the team was coming back, I released the tension and fear I'd been holding all week, relaxing back in my chair, a small smile across my face.

Spencer's coming home. He's okay.

The plane came in late that afternoon, so I drove with the kids to the airstrip, holding their hands as the stairs unfolded and the team walked off. I squinted a little against the sun, it seemed like Spencer was walking odd, holding onto the railing as he descended.

"Spencer Reid, what did you do?" I asked, crossing my arms as he limped over to us. "This better be good."

He laughed, his smile infectious, "I was chasing the unsub, cuffed him, and then as I was picking him up, slipped and twisted my ankle. I'll be fine in a few days."

I swatted his arm, holding back my excited grin, "Don't be so irresponsible next time." Unable to resist any longer, I pulled him into a keep kiss, back arching as he leaned over me. "If you do that again, I'll make it so you can't sit right, either," I whispered against his lips.

"EW!" The entire team yelled along with Maeve and Tobias.

Spencer and I laughed; even Hotch had joined in on their teasing. I gave Spencer another quick kiss before greeting the rest of the team, slowly walking towards the cars. Spencer's limp really wasn't that bad, but he knew I wouldn't be happy about it. That man is mine to bruise.

Reid helped the kids into the car as I talked to Hotch about the case, double-checking that Spencer was telling the truth about his injury and that everything else went well.

"I got a call from the DA on the plane back," Hotch sighed. "They already set a date. Fastest I've ever seen them move."

"When?"

"Three weeks out, both sets of attorneys are working around the clock preparing, but the Bureau's pushing to close it as soon as possible. This was their compromise."

"Fuck." I didn't know what else to say.

"We're going to have a meeting next week to prepare, brief the entire team, and the district attorney is personally handling this case, so she'll be coming in to talk to us." Hotch shrugged. "I don't know what else we can do."

"There is nothing." I told him. "It's a jury of his peers now."

***