Chapter 10

Clarissa plasters a pleasant smile on her face as she approaches Lord Mathew and his girl. She recognises the petit auburn-haired girl as Jane Monroe, his intended. Jane's childlike innocence seems to radiate over Mathew making him appear younger, and he looks happy as he dotes on her. Jane notices her first, she nudges her fiancé, who turns his head and looks surprised to see Clarissa coming towards them. 

"Frenchie!" He cries, he clears the space between them and embraces her. She rolls her eyes as he gives her a bear hug. She pats his back affectionately in return.

"Mathew,  it is good to see you."

He lets go of her and seizes Jane's hand. "Frenchie, you must meet my fiancée, Jane Monroe."

Jane smiles bashfully at her and curtsies, Clarissa inclines her head and returns the action.

"I am delighted to meet you, Miss Monroe."

"Oh please call me Jane, any friend of my beloved, is a friend of mine," Jane says warmly, and Mathew looks at her adoringly.

"Janie, this is Clarissa Lenoir, but I call her Frenchie. She's French you see." He explains, "We have known each other a long time,  since we were infants I reckon."

"Miss Lenoir, you are part of the Lenoir family? My father is an investor with your father I believe." Jane says polietly, "He says you make him lots of money."

"Lord Monroe is a generous investor and supporter of my father, who will be delighted to hear that I have made your acquaintance," Clarissa replies smoothly. Little does Jane know that her father is invested with her, not her father. 

Jane suddenly looks worried, "Friend surely. Only I haven't many companions, I think the other girls are jealous of my engagement."

A pang of sympathy shoots through Clarissa, the young girls of society can be quite bitter. 

"Of course Frenchie will be your friend!" Mathew says immediately, giving Clarissa a warning glance.

"I'd be delighted." She says, she touches Jane's hand reassuringly, "Most young ladies are petty and foolish, I have no doubt they are jealous. Try not to trouble yourself with their opinions."

Jane beams and takes her hands, "You are kind, I would love to get to know you more." She looks to the ballroom, her face falls slightly,  "But I must attend to my parents. I will leave you two to catch up."

Clarissa smiles and Jane leaves, not before kissing the back of Mathew's hand. 

"She's is delightful." Clarissa says once she is out of earshot, "How on earth did that happen?"

Mathew snorts, "I know she's not your type of person, but she is pure of heart and it troubles me that she is unhappy. So be kind to her and be her friend." His face shows his genuine sorrow. 

"I will be kind to her." Clarissa promises, "As long as you are too."

"What is that meant to mean?" He asks defensively. 

"I've known you a long time Mathew, I have seen you at your worst moments and they aren't pretty," Clarissa says cautiously. 

"I haven't been to your part of town since I met Jane!" Mathew declares indignantly, "I am a changed man. I am a scoundrel no more!"

"Don't change too much or I won't be able to be your friend," Clarissa says lightly. 

"Don't worry, I will still buy your whiskey, it is the best I can find. " Mathew says, his face softens as he looks at her. "How have you been since the funeral?"