Chapter 23

Nothing.

Absolutely freaking nothing.

Nada.

You would think in Los Angeles, the land of lawsuits, NDA''s and proceedings, I would be able to find a firm to intern for easily.

I couldn't be more wrong.

Not one open position to uncover.

This city is full. Categorically filled.

Which is fucking great.

Just what I needed in August.

Now I hear you thinking; you have not only one, but two grandparents with one of the biggest firms in the state.

I know I'm more than welcome there.

Truth be told, I learned everything that I know today from them. They took me and my brother under their wing when our parents failed to provide the sanctuary normal kids our age needed to grow into themselves without being in a state of overall alarm.

And I'll be forever grateful for that.

For them.

I just think its time to pull some other ropes. My own.

I know the applications at their firm must be rows on end with eager law students like myself right now, and there's still so much for me to learn. So much for me to seek on my own without the comfort of the familiar my grandparents would bring me.

Don't get me wrong, they would be as hard on me as they would on every other intern. But it's me that would feel advantaged. Like I'm taking a touch of what could've been someone else's. Someone that deserves it a hell of a lot more than I do.

I hope I find something, anything, before my grandparents hear of my utilizing every law firm in the area that's not theirs. They have knacks and connections all over town, which makes me glad that my mother decided to give me her last name, because if I applied through Isabella Campbell, grams would've been blowing up my phone by now.

''Bells, your phone has been going off for fifteen minutes straight. Pick it the fuck up.''

God, I forgot Nara was even here.

I kind of hate that about myself. If and when I'm invested in something, a storm could unravel around me and I wouldn't notice a thing.

Probably because I've had years of practice, living in a household where screaming matches were as normal and common as your morning coffee.

''Hello...''

Right. I've got a phone ringing over here.

Panic sets itself in my stomach before I realize I haven't even applied anywhere, it cant be either of my grandparents.

Unless they've had some sort of system installed into the laptop they gifted me-which I wouldn't put past them- as a law school acceptance gift after they found out I had been saving up for one, and are able to creep through my search history.

Like I said, I wouldn't put it past them.

I reach to grab the phone over at Nara side of the bed and almost flinch at the sight of me in a weird bun with baby hairs and tresses of twirls sticking out in strange contours over my head as the facetime call chimes through the room.

I swipe and accept, still grimacing at the spectacle that is my face right now.

''What's with the face? Not happy to hear from your favorite person?'' Kayden speaks, looking down at the screen as his phone is located in a hand somewhere on his lap while he's driving with the other.