Chapter 22

A shiver ran up Saaaha's spine just thinking about someone on the council betraying her. She couldn't imagine any of them willing to give the Separatists information about her to have her killed. She trusted them. She was loyal to all of them. How could any of them do this to her?

"I don't want to believe that someone on the council would do this. Are you absolutely sure no one else knew?" She asked as Anakin shut the kitchen tap off and dried his hands on the dishtowel.

"I mean, I told Padme, but she would never do something like this."

Saasha trusted Padme with her life. Anakin was right; Padme could never do anything like this. Padme would put herself in harm's way if it meant protecting her loved ones. In fact, all her brothers would, and she would do the same for them.

"Was anyone else with you when you told Padme, or even near you?" she asked, wanting to get to the bottom of this deadly puzzle before she put someone in harm's way or she got even more hurt, or worse.

Anakin crossed his arms over his chest while replaying everything that happened when he told Padme.

"We were in the Senate building. There wasn't really anyone close enough to hear us. The only person even remotely close to us was the Chancellor, who was walking farther up the hallway. He wouldn't have been able to hear, though." Anakin explained.

'A force-sensitive would be able to hear.' She thought to herself. She had learned the skill of being able to use the force to listen to conversations around you, even if they were somewhat far away.

Palpatine certainly is not a Jedi. He couldn't be a Sith, could he? No, that would be impossible. The Jedi would have sensed his dark connection to the force a long time ago, right?

Even if he wasn't a Sith, that didn't take him off the table as having something to do with this. He was the only one who would have been able to know other than the council and Padme. She never fully trusted the man. She knew Anakin was close with the old grandpa, but there was just something that has always been there about him that was sketchy that she couldn't put her finger on.

"Are you sure the Chancellor would have nothing to do with this?" she asked. There was literally no other explanation.

"Hold on. You think that the Chancellor of the Republic, who has been for some time now, would give away information to the Separatists about one of his closest friend's padawan. I don't think so, Saasha." Anakin said, almost defensively.

She rolled her eyes. She knew she would get this kind of response.

After a pause, Anakin continued, "Are you saying the Chancellor is Dooku's master, the Sith Lord?" he asked. He wasn't frustrated; he was almost confused that she would even think that.

"I'm not saying he is the Sith Lord necessarily, but I feel like he might have something to do with all of this," she responded.

When he didn't respond to her, she continued, "Anakin, what other explanation do we have?" she argued but kept her voice calm.

"Maybe it was someone on the council who sold you out." he countered, trying to think of any other explanation that does not involve one of his greatest mentors and closest friends as having something to do with this.

She sighed, placing her head in her hand while the other was held in the sling that was getting rather annoying from rubbing against her skin. Saasha was worn out. She was physically tired and mentally tired.

"Alright, so if it's not the Chancellor, and you think it's someone on the council, who do you propose?" She said, now resting her tilted head in her hand while her elbow sat on the counter.

"I don't know. Maybe we should talk to Obi-Wan and see what he thinks," he suggested.

"Deal," she said before getting up and grabbing a glass to pour herself some water. That was another one of Kix's orders, drink lots of water. She wasn't sure what that had to do with her injury, but it seemed a medic always tacked that onto their instructions after an injury or sickness, no matter what it was.

She set the glass in the clean sink after she had swallowed the cool liquid. Anakin was still standing in front of the counter in their kitchen and watched with unamusement as she put another dish in the sink after he had just finished doing the dishes.

Saasha caught on and shrugged with her good shoulder, "What? Medic's orders," she smiled.

Anakin rolled his eyes as a grin crept onto his face.

"Alright, let's go find Obi-Wan," he said as they both headed to the door of their quarters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The two of them just got into the lift, taking them towards Obi-Wans quarters when Anakin's com flashed, followed by a series of beeps.

"Skywalker here," he replied into his wrist, lifted to her mouth.

"Ah, Anakin. How are you doing?" Saasha immediately shot her head up and looked at the comm. Another sequence of shivers ran down her spine, and goosebumps formed on her arm from hearing the gravelly voice through the comm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since I have so many memes I'm gonna share a couple today

I love Padme but this is just so true 😂