eighteen

(Trigger warning: this chapter briefly alludes to a tragic death)

Luke pulls me closer to the circle but remains on the outer perimeter, stopping when people begin to stare. Slowly, he places my shaking hands around his neck, nestling his own in the curve of my waist.

I shiver as his palms make contact with my bare skin, locking eyes with him as we begin to sway to the country song playing.

It takes a second but soon everything else falls away and it's just Luke and me, dancing in the sand as the ocean crashes around us, just like we used to. My breathing slows until it's like I can't breathe at all as he leans his head down, lips parted so I can almost taste the sweet whiskey on his breath.

Something deep inside makes me rise to my tiptoes, my mouth welcoming Luke's familiar kiss easily. When our lips touch, he slips his tongue into my mouth, the salt on his skin mixed with the sweet liquor in an intoxicating taste that makes my head buzz.

His hands trail up my spine, kisses becoming more fervent. Belly doing somersaults, a heat builds within my core and I finally pull away, leaning my forehead against Luke's neck.

In somewhat of a miracle, Luke doesn't speak. He nestles his head against my hair, holding me tightly against his chest as we continue to sway back and forth to the music.

A tear slips from the corner of my eye, guilt eating at me mercilessly. I shouldn't be here, having a nice time, like everything is okay. Nothing is okay. Casey should be here with me, with us. And he never will be again.

Suddenly my back pocket is vibrating. Rolling my eyes, I clumsily take out the device and squint at the screen.

I groan, declining the call. Hunter.

Tomorrow I will call him back. Him and my parents. I'll lump it in with my other Sunday chores - all the other things I don't want to do.

"Who was that?" Luke murmurs, arms hanging awkwardly at his side now that I've pulled away.

"Doesn't matter," I sigh, putting some distance between us. "It's getting late."

I bring my arms across my chest, rubbing my hands up the goose flesh on my arms.

"Do you want to..." Luke wets his lips with his tongue, eyes trailing my face until they rest on my mouth. Bringing them back up to my gaze, he shrugs. "At least let me walk you home."

Knowing he won't let me leave without him anyways, I agree without a fight.

"Let's go then." He grins, dimples popping as he guides me through the sand and around the fire pit.

In the darkness, it's hard to make out everything lying about in the sand. My foot catches on something - the strap of a discarded sandal I think - and I fall forward, crashing into one of the coolers with a loud tumble.

My cheeks flush hot at the same time as a number of guys begin to snicker.

"You okay?" Luke asks, instantly helping me to my feet again.

Brushing sand from my knees, I roll my eyes. "Fine."

"Uh oh," One of the mouthy guys in the pack shouts as we walk to the small path leading us home. "Henny's got her. Maybe someone else should go,"

Ignore them, ignore them, ignore them.

I spare a glance in Luke's direction and notice the muscle straining in his jaw.

The guy raises his voice so that we can hear him still.

"Unless we want to scrape another drunk Anderson from the pavement in the morning!"

Something inside me breaks. All the air is pushed from my lungs in one painful blow. From my peripherals, now clouded with furious, sorrowful tears, I barely catch sight of Luke.

But it's enough. Enough to see Luke throw himself at the man, taking him to the ground in a fit of rage.

Simultaneous reactions: AWH (Dylan & Luke - yay or nay?) and UH OH (how mean was that guy?) Any predictions? I love reading your theories

Any predictions? I love reading your theories.
Stay tuned for the next update, more backstory coming soon!
Thanks for reading loves ❤️