Forty-one

Omniscient

Imam looked at his mate in adoration  as she looked around his office

Imam looked at his mate in adoration  as she looked around his office. "You seem well," Marie said before turning to face him.

"As well as to be expected without my mate or wife," Imam said. Marie's eyes scanned Imam for a moment. It had been many years since she'd seen him in person. "So, I'm sure you didn't just come here to look at me," Imam said. "My granddaughter—"

"Ahsha." He said with a smile. "Obviously, you know she's mated to your grandson." "Yes, I do." He said half-listening as his eyes trailed up her body.

"And you're aware of what he's done?" Marie asked him. "Have you missed me?" He asked ignoring her question. Marie froze stunned by the question. "I've missed you so much, little dove," Imam spoke. "Stop calling me that." Marie snapped.

He smiled before he sighed. "Yes, I am aware of what he's done." He paused. "My grandson loves her, all three of them do. But Ares doesn't play nice with others." He said with a shrug. "Hmm, must be a family trait." Marie bit back.

Imam chuckled as he bit his lip. "Funny." He said. "Very funny." He said with a smile. "You were supposed to be guiding them, Imam." She said. "Helping them learn from your mistakes." She added. He pushed himself off his desk and walked towards her.

Although her face showed no fear her eyes told a different story. He could see the uneasiness in her eyes as he got closer to her. It wasn't until he was about a foot away from her that an invisible wall stopped him.

He snorted at the protection spell she had up. "Why don't you worry about your grandchild and I'll worry about mine." He said darkness dripping into his voice.

"This is your fault, anyway." He mumbled as he turned his back to her. "My fault?" Marie questioned. "Yes!" He snapped. "You left me. You abandoned me, Marie." He said feeling all those emotions rise once more.

The same way Ares was about Ahsha was exactly how Imam was with Marie. He loved Marie more than life itself and for her, he would have done anything to make her happy, he still would. He was young and power-hungry just like his grandson and asserting his power always gave him a thrill.

But after roaming the world for decades without his mate he would have given it all away to have her by his side.

"I left because you chose not to tell me who you were." She said. "Would you have stayed had I told you?" Imam asked. Marie stared at him. "Exactly." He said at her silence. "I didn't come here to rehash the past. What is your grandson planning? Is he going to hurt my—"

"I would never let him do that." He said and he meant it. Scaring her was one thing but physically hurting her—he would never allow it.

Marie sighed. "Coming here was a mistake." She whispered to herself. "Then why did you come?" Imam asked.