Chapter 33: Expecto Patronum

"This bloody spell won't work!" Ned shouted as he frantically waved his wand

"This bloody spell won't work!" Ned shouted as he frantically waved his wand. A couple of the members of the D.A. stopped and laughed at Ned's predicament before continuing their spell practice.

"Just think of a happy memory," Harry explained as he helped Luna straighten her stance.

"Easier said than done," Ned muttered under his breath as he aimlessly waved his wand. Belle walked over to Ned, glancing over at Luna who had just conjured a hare made of light.

"Remember when we first met?" Belle asked him quietly.

"Gram was so proud of you! Ned doesn't get many girls..." Neville trailed off as Ned shot him a glare. Neville had been walking over to Belle at the most random times for the past week and trying to touch her stomach to feel a kick. Belle was more than happy too, excited about his enthusiasm to be an uncle, but she didn't have the heart to tell him that the baby wasn't kicking yet.

"Yeah...I walked over to your house and you almost punched me," Ned chuckled. His eyes wandered off, somewhat lost in the memory and Belle grinned.

"What happened next?" Belle asked softly.

"I welcomed you into our neighborhood like the idiot I was and then...I asked you to hang out," Ned told her.

"What did I say?" Belle asked.

"Yes," Ned beamed.

"Give it another try," Belle urged him.

"Expecto Patronum," Ned chanted. Suddenly, a bright glowing blue mist burst from the tip of his wand. A ferocious roar rang throughout the Room of Requirement as a lion emerged from the spell, dashing around the room.

"Expecto Patronum," Belle said, also smiling fondly from the memory. To her surprise, a tiger sprang from her wand. What didn't surprise her was her tiger running right over to Ned's lion as they tackled each other playfully, leaving a trail of light behind them.

"They make it look so easy," Amora muttered under her breath.

"Relationships, or the spell?" Cedric asked.

"Both," Amora grumbled. Cedric threw his head back and laughed before returning back to the moment.

"It's really simple. I saved you back in fifth year, remember?" Cedric reminded her.

"That felt like ages ago," Amora told him.

"Just think of something that brings you joy," Cedric told her. His hands wrapped around her waist firmly as he twisted her stance. One of his arms extended and helped her straighten her arm to point at nothing in particular.

Amora furrowed her brow and squeezed her eyes shut.

"Expecto Patronum," she whispered. She couldn't see her wand or if it was even working. Instead, she was searching her mind for memories that made her happy. She first thought of the first time she rode a broom.