Delete

I'm utterly exhausted. Duel staggered in around midnight in his usual state except it seemed much worse this time. He sneered at me and spoke some harsh word's before crashing into a table lamp. However it didn't stop there, no he managed to call down busting the glass out of the coffee table. If I tried to help him he'd jerk away. Eventually he stumbled his way to our room where he passed out in a drunken, drug induced sleep.

I cleaned up the mess he had made as thoughts ran rampant in my mind. I don't know why I continue to stay in this ruse of a marriage. It's obvious that it's hurting the both of us. There's no changing him or his feelings. Making myself a cup of warm tea, I settled down in a big comfy chair to really think about where this was all going. As I sat there in thought I heard Duel's phone go off. Looking around I saw his coat draped over the entryway table. Normally I don't check his phone but if he's getting a call at this late hour it could be a family emergency.

Rising from my comfortable roost, I walked to his coat and fished his phone out. A unidentified number flashed on the screen so I sent it to voicemail. However it kept nagging at me. Just because the number wasn't familiar doesn't mean it wasn't important. Sitting back down, I listen to the message. Instantly I knew who it was and I listened to ever word she had to say intently.  In fact I replayed the message over a few more time's.

I'm not a bad person, I know I'm not. I actually sympathized with this girl's pain. Part of me was saying to let Duel go so they can find each other. After all I'm partly to blame for Duel's disappearance. Yes, I hated knowing that I was no longer his one even though I denied him for so long. I hated seeing them together so happy and in love. I hated seeing how Duel wanted to be good just for her. In a way I guess my calling him for help had something to do with her. I wanted him back and just for me. My plan was to take my copper ex out and then coax Duel back in love with me but sadly it backfired.

The more I listened to her confession a anger set in. Why should I set Duel free so they can be happy? What about my happiness? Don't I deserve to be happy as well? I knew what I had to do.... I had to fight for my man and my future. Without an ounce of guilt I got the delete button. Duel will never hear her hurt or confessions.

I then went to his home office and cracked open his laptop. I snorted when her name instantly appeared in his history. Obviously he had been secretly searching her out. I briefly scanned his findings and it wasn't long before I found her location. Picking up my tea I smiled as I let it spill onto his laptop frying it. I quickly disheveled his office. I'll tell him during his drunken haze last night he made a complete mess and he'll be home the wiser.

After lunch the next day I waited in the parking garage of her apartment building. It wasn't long before she pulled in and thankfully she was alone. Acting fast I jumped from my car and fastly approached her. "Hey you". I called out.

Chelly looked over her shoulder and when she realized who I was a look of fear crossed her face. "I don't want any trouble Zoe". She said rather loudly.

" You asked for trouble when you left that pathetic message on my HUSBAND'S phone last night". I growled.

"I'm sorry for that. It was bad judgement on my part. I just needed to get my feelings off of my chest. It meant nothing and it wasn't an attempt to try and steal him away from you. I'm getting married soon and just needed to drop that baggage off so I don't bring it with me into my marriage" . She stated.

Scoffing I repeated sarcastically. "Steal? You, steal Duel from me? Now I know your sadly mistaken. Look honey, Duel left you for me. That's right, no sooner than he returned we were tumbling around in the sheets. Trust me, he had forgotten about before he was locked up. You was a game to him that's all, a way to kill boredom in that tiny nothing town. It's always been me Chelly, I'm his one. He married me. He gave me his last name and it will be me that he holds onto during the night. Me that has his babies. Duel Harper is mine and nothing or no one can change that" .

I then smirked and added. "But thanks for the laugh. Duel and I played your hilarious message over and over. We haven't laughed that hard in awhile".

I seen pain register across her face and maybe I went to far with that last comment but I had to make her believe that Duel wanted nothing to do with her. "Okay, you won. Congratulations. I wish the both of you happiness. Now as I said before my message wasn't an attempt to get him back. It was for me, so I could move on. Now this has been pleasant but I have wedding plans to attend to". Chelly said and turned to go.

How can she be so nice after the thing's I said I wondered. Still I needed to make myself clear so I called out. "This is your only warning Chelly. Do not attempt to contact my husband again. If you do our next chat won't be so pleasant. Are we clear?"

Chelly spun around on her heel and I was somewhat surprised when she spoke with venom in her voice as she gritted out. "Crystal. Crystal fucking clear."

Maybe there was a bit of strength in her after all. She definitely wasn't the shy, quite girl I meet back in Alabama. But I'm not the one she wants to test her newfound bravery out on. It wouldn't end well for her.

Can you blame Zoe for deleting the message?

What would you do had your bf/husband's ex left a heartfelt message like that?

Was Zoe wrong for approaching Chelly?

Do you think this might escalate further between the two women?