have the best summer ever

Karl didn't know it was his last day at this school. It was obvious that the current semester had come to an end, due to the yearbook in his bag, but he wasn't told that he would never be coming back. Just like all the years before he just assumed that he would be back in the same old building with his same old friend, only for a new school year. Although saying goodbye to Sapnap for the summer was quite painful, saying goodbye to him for years would be anguish.

But again, he didn't know that. His mom didn't tell him, and he was just an oblivious kid. For the last day of their childhood company, they danced across the playground, hanging from high places and reliving their daydreams once again. This was the highlight of Karl's waking days, were to just exist in Sapnap's presence. They would drive each other to endless bubbly laughter, nerves relaxing enough to threaten them with the potential of falling into the bed of wood chips below. That didn't keep them from acting so reckless, even when Sapnap lost his balance dangling from some bars and tumbled back onto the ground. They both just laughed harder, because now they were tough enough to ignore the way that the wood chips would dig into their skin and leave bloody marks and splinters.

Eventually though, their energy began to mellow out, and the two found themselves lounging in a patch of grass next to a cluster of small trees that surrounded the playground. Karl beamed, reaching for his bag, and he yanked out his yearbook, showing it off to Sapnap. "We have to write in them!" He already got a couple of short notes and signatures from a few classmates, but he felt that in the future he would look back at those ones and not recognize a single name. Sapnap, however, he was different. Of course. He just had to have the biggest space dedicated for whatever he decided to write there.

Watching Sapnap smile and fumble in his bag for a pen was the most pleasant thing he could see. And although he would've liked to speak up and tell him he was gonna write in his book at the same time, it was equally nice to sit peacefully and glance down as the pen scrawled letters onto the page.

Soon enough, he was being nudged his book back, and he carefully took it into his hands, reading it immediately out of sheer curiosity.

Have the best summer ever Karl. Remember you can be whatever you want to be no matter what. You're my bestest friend ever. :) - Sapnap

Karl immediately burst into giggles of pure glee, looking to Sapnap and beaming as he clutched his book close. He was a sucker for kind words, especially when they came from the hands of the person he adored the most. "Thank you Sapnap," he mumbled, holding it away just to skim over his note once again. "I need to leave you one."

"Oh yeah," Sapnap chuckled, turning and rummaging through his bag for his own book. He handed it over, placing it on top of Karl's a little carelessly. Karl didn't mind. What he did mind was that as he was flipping to the last page Sapnap tossed the pen at him and it hit him straight in the face, making him squeak in alarm. He paused for a long moment, wrinkling his nose and then laughing loudly once he processed it.

"Sapnap! What the honk?" He picked up the pen, glaring up at his friend playfully and scooting away a little just to be dramatic. He held his book up, biting his lip in focus as he wrote out his message for Sapnap. As the other boy scooted closer, he huffed and held the book parallel to their bodies so that he wouldn't see. "It's a surprise!" He whined, and to which, Sapnap rolled his eyes and retreated with a big grin on his face. Karl was satisfied, but didn't let any of the page show to his eyes as he finished off the note. Finally, he scribbled his name at the end and then handed it over. "Read!"

Sapnap hummed simply, taking his book back and looking over the small paragraph with hooded eyes. His hair ruffled in the wind a bit, complimented by the swaying branches overhead. Karl was happy.