Chapter 27: Mom Knows Best

Kyra's POV

I stood all by myself away from the crowd in a corner, holding a wine glass. A nice waiter had offered it to me and his cuteness made it hard for me to turn him down.

I looked at the wine and smiled nervously. Just a sip wouldn't bite. I surely wouldn't get drunk by just a sip. I swallowed hard, then I looked around me first.

No one seemed to be paying attention to me. Mom had dumped me for some Asian businessmen and the other people I knew were out of sight. I had no idea who half of the people in the room were so maybe no one would care if I got drunk.

Who was I even kidding? Being a billionaire's wife and a billionaire's daughter was harder than I thought. Everyone knew me and I had to live up to everyone's expectations especially in public. I had no interest whatsoever in making the headlines.

Okay, let's do this, London. Just a sip and we'll be good.

I balled my left fist then I held up the glass to my mouth. Even it's strong smell hit my nose so hard that I already felt my head getting light.

Okay, maybe next time.

I put the glass away from my mouth and looked around me to see if anyone was noticing my drama and for sure I had the attention of a small group of young men who had started passing comments among themselves.

I gave them a nervous smile and one of them motioned for me to join them. I shrugged it off and walked away. I wasn't interested in talking to men, especially a bunch of horny men.

The thought of someone's dirty hands on my body disgusted me. I only wanted my husband's hands on my body. I only wanted his kisses and lately I had started fantasising about us making love. I wanted him to be my first. I was certain. Even if there were no feelings attached on his end, I still wanted him.

"Too strong for someone who barely drinks wine," I heard a voice say, which I identified to be Layton's.

I turned around and saw him right behind me, holding two glasses of wine, looking good as usual. His outfit matched with mine. I was beginning to soften a bit around him but deep down I knew I had to be alert at all times.

"I barely have knowledge regarding wine," I said as he gave me a glass and took away the one I had.

"You can drink that one. It's just five percent alcohol and it's good."

I nodded and took a sip. Even though my heart was beating fast, I chose to trust him. He was very capable of hurting me, but he'd never poison me.

"Told you the gift would wreck you up. You look good," he complimented me. Everyone's kindness to me lately was seriously giving me goosebumps.

"Uhm, thanks. You look good too," I replied. I drank some more of the wine and realised it was actually good. For someone who barely drank wine, I was doing good.

"Enjoy your night, Kyra. Mom was looking for you, by the way."

"Why?"

"How would I know?" he replied walking away from me. He was still bitter. He was trying his best to tolerate me. At least that counted.

I saw Mom approach me in all her glory and wondrous splendour. She never aged. She still looked as beautiful as in her younger days.

"Sorry, I had important stuff to handle. Those men are in the clothing industry."