chapter seventeen

Penny

"Are you going to run off on me again today?" Denzel asks looking back at me through the rearview mirror.

His eyes hold their usual mischievous glint, and I can feel him trying to pressure me to retort. I hold my tongue, biting down on the inside of my cheek and I go with a firm shake of my head. He smiles anyway turning his perpetual gaze back to the road. He was very insistent at the beginning of our... "arrangement" that he had to know where I was at all times. Obviously, I broke that on Wednesday when I went to meet Kade behind Denzel's back. I easily tricked him into believing that I was going to stay with Connor for a while and needed my space.

He bought the easy lie, technically a half-truth. I did go and visit Connor for a little but then I ran off. He must've realized when I came back later than expected—all flushed with my hair in a ponytail—that I wasn't telling the truth about where I had been. But then again I made another easy lie about stopping off to dance before coming back, seemingly pushing away any skepticism he may have had.

But from the glare Denzel is currently sending me through the rear view mirror he definitely knows something is up. All I have to do is try and keep my head low and not have Kade and I get caught by one of Enzo Bridger's cronies.

Denzel has made sure to drive me every single place I've needed to go since Wednesday and I guess he's really getting antsy about me leaving again. And the problem is I'm supposed to be meeting Kade today at the gym to train again. We took a day's break on Thursday, I woke up completely sore from the waist down and my knuckles were swollen from how hard I had been hitting both Kade and the punching bag. So the rest day was well needed. And dancing on my sore limbs today didn't make my body feel any better, now my already sore muscles are even more inflamed then before.

"Do you need to stop off anywhere else today Miss Jones?" Denzel pulls me away from my thoughts. I meet his penetrating gaze in the mirror again.

His expression is humorous. I internally groan, "uh no directly home today."

He nods, his gaze flicking back to the road.

I let out a deep breath and slump further down into the cushioned seat. I need to leave without Denzel figuring it out.

Denzel pulls up in front of my apartment building and I let out a sigh of relief as I swing the car door open pulling my heavy duffle bag out behind me.

"Need help?" He asks.

I shake my head heaving it out, the muscles in my arms straining against the movement. They burn as I lug the bag up over my shoulder and begin walking towards the apartment complex.

Turning swiftly onto my heels I meet Denzel's stare again, "Thanks for the ride again Denzel, I'll be staying in for the night."

He bows his head slightly peering at me through his dark lashes a smirk growing on his deep brown lips, "My pleasure Miss. I'll be here if you need anything."

I roll my eyes at his formalities knowing he's only trying to get on my last nerves. And it's working. Ignoring his rumble of laughter I leave him out on the curb and head inside.

-

It's getting closer to our time, we decided on 6 pm today since I had dance classes taking up my entire day.

With my new plan in action, I grab all of my gear, peering out behind the curtains, I look down to the street where Denzel's black car sits idly parked on the side of the road. Honestly, who knows what he's doing in there all that time, I only hope he's not paying too much attention to the back alleyway.